U.S. Lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

there is a company in Mississippi and other states called U.S. Lawns that appears to be a franchise, does anyone on here own one? i'm really interested in knowing how all that works with a lawn company...

2. i think i may have read something about them in the last edition of lawn and landscape. however i am not sure. a big one to watch out for though is Brickman.

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

4. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

This is the operator in your area,

USL Jackson
    David Pursell
    690 Century Place
    Ridgeland, MS 39157
    Tel: 601-856-8928
    Fax: 601-856-4844
    Email: pursell@iolms.com

get in touch with him in disquise or contact the company and start asking alot of questions about there business. pretend that you are interested in the business!

5. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

A smart businessman will know in about 30 seconds if he's being 'probed' by some kid being nosey

6. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

That's funny that you should ask about U.S. Lawns. I called them up basically because I was curious. It costs anywhere between $30,000 to 60,000 to start. Of coarse this includes everything from equipment to the truck, and the franchise fees and royalties.
    The only thing I liked about this biz opportunity was that the headquarters actually do the advertising for you including telemarketing, and sending fliers via mail to the areas that you specify, which is a big, big time saver, but I really don't see the point of going into a franchise unless you just want the name.

7. I have thaught about it also I have looked in to most of the other fanchises out there but US Lawns and fall into the same problem every time

that is I am in the biz already and it would conflict with there franchise that you have to pay for out of your pocket

why don't they pay me to buy into my LC

If you are already in this biz you might be better off trying it solo

8. jwalker

jwalker LawnSite Member

My how misinformation can spread...

Allow me to reply to the previous posters who don't quite have the facts straight.

My husband and I own the U. S. Lawns franchise in Knoxville, TN. Here are a few facts about the U. S. Lawns system.

There are approx. 80 - 90 franchises now. The initial fee to become a franchisee in around $29,000.00. That includes training,some office products, and intensive mentoring. This is the intial start up fee and is paid only one time. There is a royalty paid on sales and this percent is based on your volume, but you pay no royalty on customers you already have for the first year. U.S.Lawns will tell you it will take from $29,000 - $60,000 for the approx. first year start up but that is if you have nothing and are starting from scratch. Most people who join USL already have the machines, trucks and other equipment to get them started. In fact most have been in the business for a few years. For example, our start up fee was $26,500.00 because we didn't need the office equipment and software. We already had them.

You have a "facilitator" assigned to you and that person oversees you and helps you become more successful. Everyone has a facilitator no matter how many years they have been with USL.

USL is not for everyone and they do not take everyone who applies to become a franchise. You will find that most successful franchise operations, whether they be McDonalds or whoever, are pretty picky about who they let join the team. This is how they keep there franchises successful.

We joined because we felt like we were spinning our wheels and needed some guidance. USL is a subsisiary of Envirnmental Industries. They are the largest privately owned company of there kind in the country. The amount of knowledge they have accumulated over the years is priceless.

So far we have been happy with our choice. It has not always been easy and we have struggled at times. But the things we have struggled with are not uncommon to anyone else in this industry. The differece is we have someone we can always call on who wants us to succeed and has knowledge that would take us many years to learn on our own.

Hope this helps.

If you would like to know more details let me know or contact David Purcell at you local USL. He is a very nice fellow and I'm sure would be happy to talk with you.