u.s. maintenance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burninbill, Feb 18, 2003.

1. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

Have any of you guys done business with a company called U.S. Maintenance? I had a call from them today letting me know that they are going to handle all lawn care issues for one of my commercials accounts. They requested that we measure the turf and parking lot for them. To me they are wanting us to do all the work and them get a part of the cut. If our prices match their national avg. then we can continue to do the property. That does not fly with me!!!!

I have a friend that has done business with them and he was shafted on a snow plow job because he did it at night and he did not get a work order signed?(it was a retirement home, who would be up at night to sign anyway?)

Please let me know if you guys have any info on this company.

My friend charges 35-40 a man hour to clear walks and they wanted to pay him 20 a man hour.

This sounds like a big rip off to me.

Thanks for your input
    Jon Walker
  2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

If this is your customer why are they in the middle? Sounds like you have lost the account. If that is true why would you help your competitor? If they are handling everything there now then its their problem to getting all the sizes.

I would call my contact at that account and just see what is going on for sure. Do not trust US Maintenance. This would also give you a chance to see why you lost it, if indeed you have.
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a contract with this account? You are either the provider or you aren't.

Like gator said, call your contact with the account and see what's up.

If U.S. has the account now, I'd walk. I sub for NOBODY. If I wanted to work for someone else, I would have never started my own business!
  4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

The odds are you will lose this account. US Maint. will give the account to a lowballer.
  5. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

Sub maintenance?????:confused: They called you and told you they are taking your account?? I think I would have to drive one of their reps. to another job site way far away and leave them there. Did you call them? or they called you?? I would really like to know the answer to this one.
  6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

OOOH fight fire with fire. Talk to customer. Oh you have acepted US Maint? Well thank you for your business? Hello US Maint , Yes I will take that deal I need the money the property is XxX (divide actual by 2 ) Three weeks after supposed start Uh mr/mrs X customer I sorry I am not sure what you are talking about Your LCO is US maint and I do not work for them. I am sure as slimey as these people are they will want signed contracts. Well I mailed it , you didn't get it? Send me another and I will get it to you right away. With these tactics explained to the customer I would doubt if many would want to be put in this situation.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would call the customer and find out what the real scoop is before you get too upset. This might just be US Maintenance trying to get their foot in the door. Let us know after you talk with the customer. I have heard of billing issues with this company especially for plow work.

8. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

I have called the manager of the store and it seems their corporate office made the decision to go with this U.S. Maintenance. I told the manager that I would be glad to continue doing this property for him but would not go through U.S. Maintenance. I have a friend that did plow work for them and still haven't seen any money.

win some and you lose some

9. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

U.S. Maintenance or U.S. Lawns?
  10. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

You have to be carefull with these companies. Call the BBB and check to see if there is any complaints on them. Check with the state corporation comission also.

I had a lot of trouble out of one company I've delt with but once everything got settled it has been pretty good. Once you get in with them on one account they want to give you other accounts, because is saves them money to just have 1 company they deal with for several accounts.

Big companies like to use these middle men because they pay 1 company to do everything instead 1000 different companies at different rates and such.

Bid the job at your usual price. Chances are if you have one the bid on this job before you will win it again. They say that industry avg. **** to try to get you to bring you price down.