UAP's "XCU" fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 25, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Has anybody used this formulation yet? (It's an new technology improving on the former "SCU" formulations -- more efficient with more nutrients per pound).

rscvp, thanks :usflag:
  2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Another option might be UFLEXX 46-0-0. It's coated with stabilizers that prevent leaching and volitalization. The prills are coated and I would think would be less likely than Urea to soak up moisture. I bought a couple of tons from Estes back in the Spring. Nice stuff...Clean. I used it in the tank but it appeared it would spread nicely. Can't say what the price is now but at the time it was only a couple more bucks a bag than Urea.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Uflexx is the Devil! I hate the stuff! (spreading) Soaks up moisture like none other! Makes a mess on everything! If it's humid out, you may have to clean the impeller after 1/2 bag:hammerhead: I spread my remaining 35 bags on my friends hayfield, just to get rid of it!

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

UFLEXX, I have melted it and spread it both in PG and push spreader with no problems. Melts easy and is clean. I actually spread it lastweek in a light misting rain. No problems. Must be a southern adaptable fertilizer. :rolleyes:
  5. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

UFLEXX and UMAXX are awesome fertilizers. I used UMAXX this year in my tank mix and was extremely happy with it.
    Larry, I am very interested in the XCU formulation, what is the cost and the longevity of the feeding?
  6. Real Green

Real Green LawnSite Senior Member

I have some questions for you about UAP. I noticed a few things you had said earlier in the season about their products and a few concerns. Will you be going with their product next season and did you did you have the results you anticipated? Thanks a lot and take care!

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Smoke and Mirrors!!!
  8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

What is it that you do not like about the formulation? Have you ever tried or used the product?
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi "A-Team member" :usflag: (TURFCO) -- I just sent FD (another A-Team member :usflag:) a PM regarding this. Now I see you posted too. So I'll post what I know publically so everybody knows about it.

XCU is an improved version of SCU. EC Grow (Eau Claire, Wisconson) manufactures it for UAP. Figure a 25% SCU ..... the XCU would be equivelent to a 35% SCU. Less N loss + more slow release, less burn potential, and more N per granule. It's new, and that's why I posted. No smoke & mirrors whatsoever.

As far as our experience with UAP: Our first semi-load was a little dusty, but UAP quickly took care of that. No prob eversince. So far we have gone through 176 tons of UAP (dry) fert with no problem. We just finished 3 applications, and we have 2 more to go. We used to buy from Scotts until they raised hell when they started their own lawn application franchises. Then we bought from LESCO for many years -- great products, great people, etc, but this year, LESCO could not compete pricewise. So this year, every fertilizer order was from UAP. Heck--I played high school football against my local UAP rep. :laugh:

We're good on fert for a little while, but we'll need some soon. So I have been seriously shopping. I've looked at 32%, 34%, 46-0-0 sprayable, Tech Terra organics, and the new 43-0-0 XCU from UAP.

UAP told me today that I have 3 or 4 weeks to decide..if prices jump, he will notify me ahead of time. (that's the mark of a good sales rep)

I'll PM you with my rep's phone number. If I want smoke & mirrors, I'll vote for Osama. :laugh:

10. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

XCU is Agrium Advanced Technologies’ first branded product line combining polymer and sulphur coating technologies. XCU is a controlled-release product targeted towards the turf and consumer market. XCU is designed as an upgrade to the Company’s SCU product.