UC nozzles

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by barefootlawnsandlandscape, Jun 9, 2008.

1. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Was at the irrigation house today for lunch with the Rainbird rep. Showed me some new undercut nozzles that look really impressive. He claimed that I could reduce run times by around 30%. Said a 10min. zone can be reduced to a 7min zone.

I was wondering if anyone has some experience with these nozzles. I would like to try and upsell them to some large commercial customers if they do what they say.

I also saw where they are pushing their rotators again. Has anyone been using them after they fixed the bearing problem from a few years ago? It is hard for me to move away from MP's!

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

UC? Different from U nozzles?

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If you're just now getting the undercut nozzles, your supplier is lacking. We started using them heavily in 2002.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I use them (U nozzles) almost exclusively for renovations when rotators are not an option. Good nozzles to compensate for poor design (eg. no head to head).

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Question= answered. Where you been, barefoot, tip-toeing through the tulips?

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Tell your suppliers you'd like to try some of the new fangled gear driven rotors, and maybe even a digital controller. I hear those are new too. :)

Seriously, if your supplier and product rep are just now showing those to you, they are slacking and not keeping you informed. Unless they are talking of a new product I have no clue about.

BTW, yes those nozzles work well. No they will not cut water needs or usage by 30%.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Will they whiten my teeth and simoniz my sedan?

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

The only way they would cut your water usage down from 10 to 7 is if the precip rate was 30% higher than the original nozzle?

Wouldnt that be a quick sell? Let me upgrade all of your nozzles for $5 bucks a piece and I can reduce your water usage by 30%!!! GUARANTEED!! (nO NEED TO SELL MY SMARTLINES AT 80-100 BUCKS A ZONE THEN HUH?)

9. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I guess we backwoods rednecks here in Arkansas are left in the dark. I guess a little product research on my own would go a long way. So they don't cut water usage at all, or just not by as much as the rep was claiming.

10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Do you know how they would cut water usage? Do the nozzles have sensors that know when too much water is too much?

Grass needs a certain amount of water each week. It could take 3 minutes to supply that water, or 3 hours. It all depends on the precipitation rate or the nozzles.