Uconn Applicators Course, anyone take it, any good?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LegienzaLandscaping, Dec 20, 2006.

1. LegienzaLandscaping

LegienzaLandscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

I picked up the core manual today to study for a supervisory applicator license and was told about an upcoming course being offered for Supervisory Applicator / Ornamental & Turf and am thinking of taking it. The course is $285 and goes for 9 weeks, 3 hours/week, and says figure on spending 10 hours/week outside of class studying. The DEP (written) test is on March 22; assuming I pass, I wont take the oral exam until mid/late april, meaning I will miss peak advertising season for new annual fert. customers in 07. Im not concerned about getting a ton of accounts in spring of 07 but would like to pick up a fair amount to gain experience from, so I know what im doing the year after. Has anybody taken the course at UConn; do you think it was really a big help, if so, how? Im not really worried about the cost, but hate to take the course just to have someone talk about and go over the material in the manual.

2. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

I signed up for the course yesterday. i contacted my old advisor at uconn and he highly recommended the course. The guy who we operate under now, claims you really should take the course because as you know it is not an easy test to pass. I hope to see ya there.

3. Envi-Lawn

Envi-Lawn LawnSite Member
    from CT

I recommend taking the course unless you have alot of field experience. You need to allow yourself every opportunity to pass the first time.
    The course will help you pass the test. Do not assume . It is not easy. If you fail the written test, you won't get your license in early 2007. That means no chemical work in 2007. Good luck

4. LegienzaLandscaping

LegienzaLandscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

Sounds like I should take the course. Ill probably see you there Quinn, just kicking myself for not taking the last class that was offered, oh well. Just one more thing to make spring time even busier.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

where is the course offered?

I need to get cert'd. CT's test is not something you can pass on your own typically. I took it while I was a SR @ uconn, missed it by one fscking point. I took the course but they didn't prep us for chemicals and that is the part I bombed. I was pretty pissed at the instructor actually for not telling us to study chem's. Basically she set us up to fail for the commercial test. Others took the operators test which a monkey with an IQ of 12 could pass.

6. EA Quinn

matt, what year were you at uconn? i graduated in 2003. maybe we know each other? the course is being offered at uconn in west hartford. if you need the number let me know.

7. BSDeality

I graduated in 05' didn't start until jan 04' though so we missed each other up there. Please send me that number when you get a chance.

thanks

8. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

what is the number? Or do they have a website?

9. EA Quinn

contact Candace Bartholomew in the West Hartford Cooperative Extension office. 860-570-9067.

10. BSDeality

hmm, that is the same professor that I took it with @ uconn. I think I'll investigate if the teaching subjects have been changed.