udor pumps? (gas engine driven)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by teeca, Sep 28, 2006.

1. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

who here has used udor pumps? are they any good. i have used hypro for along time, and yes their bullet proof (so i don't want to here anything about them). i have a udor pump on my aquatics boat, but it doesn't see near the use of the spray rig, will they last as long as the hypro?

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

gas powered utter pumps?

3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Udor pumps seem to be built lighter than Hypro. The weigh less for the same output so there is no arguing they use less metal. That aside I've head many customers use them with no significant issues. Our shop serviced quite a few & they always seemed about the same as Hypro with respect to time on the bench & recall incidence.

Udor's are engineered well enough that the lack of metal isn't much of an issue.

4. profigala

profigala LawnSite Member

In our older lawn care truck, we have a contain-o shell, with a udor pump in it that is about 8 years old. Never had to do any repair to it otherr than replacing the polyurethane poppit in the pressure regulator which is a 5 min job. It has been a great pump. Out new tank has a hypro so im just the oppisite. Im wondering if those are any good, compared to the udor which has been just awsome for so long.

5. teeca

6. teeca

thanks trmer. the reason i was asking is it looked like the udor was much lighter and it was sold complete w/ the pressure reg ready to run. another question, since it looks like you repair them for a living.. the gear reduction unit, is it the same noisy one that hypro uses?

7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked for Lesco for 17 years so I have some insight in their & similar sprayers. Our shop serviced many such units.

The Udor gear reduction unit will be quieter than the Honda/Hypro combos.

Actually the Hypro gear reduction units are very good & NOT at all noisey. Folks get confused because from about 1986-2000 Lesco used the Honda 6:1 gear reducer first with a cheap Love-Joy coupler. This was a very loose cut gear setup that made an awful lot of noise. Vibrations caused problems as did alignment. A stock Hypro gear reducer would have been much better but they cost so much Lesco wouldn't use them. Honda had a problem with warranty qualification too if memory serves. More recently they went with the superior Kawasaki/Hypro combination that is very well engineered, quiet & free of vibrations. They have a new set of issues not related to the gear reduction.

For people with the old Briggs engines - these used a B&S gear reduction unit that was very well made hence very quiet. If only the engines were as good...

The Udor gear reduction unit is just as good as far as I have been able to tell but I have less experience with it than the Honda & Hypro units.

8. teeca

yah, one of my units is a d30 belt driven, the other is an older then dirt 5.5 honda gear reduction, and it sounds like the truck w/ 44" mudders on it... but it has more hours then the hour meter will register (not really, but it has well over 5k hrs) just keeps on ticking.. or humming that is.

9. helper01

helper01 LawnSite Member

Well yes the Udor is less metal and for no reason they can and will crack the housing. I have a Craigson Skid that is in great shape. expect for the pump housing is cracked. LOL
    Any ideas on who welds those ? I will probably part with it ....

10. helper01

helper01 LawnSite Member

Craigson skid sprayer for sale cracked pump housing .