uf cable thru pvc conduit???

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by johnnywill08, Jun 20, 2007.

1. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

never done ext. wiring before. can i run 14-2 uf thru conduit??? also, this stuff's really hard to strip, can i do it with a regular combo stripper/cutter?

half the project is underground the other half is above ground thru conduit for flodlights, fyi....

2. johnnywill08

from MA z6

oh and i know i'm a "diy-er" in terms of ext. lighting but hey, i'm a grass pro, so you help me and i'll help you keep your lawn looking good

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

johnny- I appreciate you being a grass pro- I mowed for years, still do a few. the folks on this forum tend to ask and answer questions among themselves, but I'll give you a tip- I doubt anyone on here uses 14-2 for anything except maybe leads. and then rarely. If you don't know what a lead is, you really should hire a local lighting professional to walk you through some things. it'll be the best 100-200 bucks you ever spent.

If you are considering doing wiring and lighting for a client without any experience, I beg you , don't. It hurts our trade and image. no offense meant, just free advice.

dave g

4. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Man, I'm a bit sleepy so I'm more inclined to curse at you right now. Maybe you could ask again tomorrow, or maybe someone else might have the patience to deal with your sorry ass. I can tell you this much just by your initial statement: you don't know what the hell you are doing with lighting, so don't do it.

5. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

What type of wire? Sounds like your talking about solid core UF cable?

6. Chris J

Eden,
    Have you checked your pm's lately?

7. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

First of all, NEVER use UF wire for low voltage lighting. This is single strand solid wire and is not meant for low voltage use. Low voltage cable is approved for direct burial or exposure.

8. johnnywill08

from MA z6

this project is on my own property (not for a client), and the fixtures are floodlights and duplex receptacles. i've done alot of rewiring and new wiring inside, so i can handle the job in terms of technique, but want to make sure i don't do anything unsafe.

9. johnnywill08

from MA z6

and as for you, hard-ass, lighten up you friggin punk.

10. Chris J

10-4. Loud and clear. I'm light.