UF Fertilizers?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by southernroots, Jun 27, 2008.

1. southernroots

southernroots LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Are they better than SCU's

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Uflexx ? What is UF ?

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

UF Is Urea Formaldehyde. UF was the first slow release Nitrogen ever developed and still the Best slow release. UF is also a high cost source of Nitrogen.

Sulfur Coated Urea or SCU is straight Urea with a coating of Sulfur of varying thickness. SCU can in fact take up to two years before total release is obtained. The average rate of Nitrogen release is called the Activity Index or Release table and varies from batch to batch and manufacture to manufacture

UF is made by bonding long carbon chains of Nitrogen. These carbon chains break down in a more systematic way to release Nitrogen in a very uniform manner.

4. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

'better' depends a lot on what you're using it for or what your needs are. I'm a big fan of UF fertilizers too but I really only use them on trees and shrubs either through soil injection or broadcast. I've used them on turf a little bit but not enough to give any meaningful feedback. Since I do a lot of landscape maintenance the reduced labor cost of only needing to fertilize once per year really helps offset the extra material cost (which is considerable).

5. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member