1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

uflexx or scu

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenerpastures, Apr 26, 2005.

1. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

Planning to order next truckload of fert and am going to make the switch to uflexx from scu on my controlled-release portion of analysis. On paper, the chemistry behind uflexx makes sense, but that doesn't always prove practical. Agrotain's website indicates that uflexx should be a cheaper controlled-release product (they prefer to call it stabilized N), but my suppliers seem reluctant to pass on the savings---cost is about the same as scu.

I hope I would see better performance with the uflexx on turf that is often not irrigated soon after application. Data I have reviewed seems to confirm, but would appreciate comments from those who have compared.
  2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I have used uflex for about 2 years. I have mixed opinions on it. I have noticed some growth flush with it that isn't there with scu. Also you have to make sure it stays dry and under cover. Even ambiant humidity will be absorbed bt the product making it tend to clump. This year I'm going to go back to scu but possibly try Duration for a later application. By the way, don't plan on getting much of anything from uflex beyond 6 weeks. Just my 2 cents.
  3. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

"Clumping" is probably my worst nightmare. Zsprays abhor even the smallest clumps----but I have had problems with my standard scu product as well. I determined it depends mainly on the quality control of the supplier and storage facilities. Thanks for the heads-up.