Uflexx Summer Use

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by stinkfoot, Feb 20, 2008.

1. stinkfoot

stinkfoot LawnSite Member
    from sapulpa

does anybody know if uflexx will burn lawns when temps. are over 85 i am looking to lower product cost this year on fert

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

If misapplied, any fertilizer would have the potential of burning a lawn. In the heat of Summer, you definitely don't want to be applying too much N anyway.

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I will be using it in my tank in the next week and will continue to use it through the rest of my R-1 Pre-emerg app.(3rd week of March) After that I will only use it for new sales and then only until temps get up to about 80. I don't know if it is safe to spray after that. What I do know is that there are some Fert mfgs that include it in their dry blends. So I'm going to step out on a limb here and say you will still need to switch over to dry when the temps get too high.

4. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

A little off the topic, but be carefull w/Uflexx granular when warm & /or humid! The stuff has a tendency to melt. Kind of like running around with 46-0-0;) It is DEFINITELY not as clean & free flowing as an scu product!

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats all my last distributer sold. Never had a problem. Like VIC said any fert will burn if mis applied.

6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

If the weather is over 85F and you apply UFLEXX at anything over 0.75 lbs/K in a liquid form you could get tip burn. At least that is what my supplier says. I will be using UMAXX this year for the first time for my spring Weed & Feed on my smaller lawns that I use the tank sprayer with. I hope it works because this will be the first time I will have used liquid fertilizer.

7. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I looked at there web site last week because of another post and yes it says to reduce the rate when the temps above 85
    Charles Cue

8. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I've used both Umaxx and Uflexx in my spray program. I'm not sure anyone except those in the higher zones (8b-10b) would receive any direct benefit from coming out the door with the first app. with either product. With lawns that have yet to emerge from dormancy or semi-dormant, simply using a 46-0-0 all-soluble for the first app. as your "N" source makes better sense from a cost perspective.
    I've used Umaxx for years now and I'm convinced it stays very stable in tank mixes through all but the highest temps. I had a pump to go down on 500 gal. tanker, mixed at .75 lb/1000. I waited for 8 days for a new regulator to arrive. The average high temps. that week were in the low 90's. I removed the fill-cap to put the spray gun into the tank to circulate the material and expected to be greeted with that all-too-familar powerful ammonia smell. Nothing...Nada. I checked the pH and it had risen from 6.8 to 6.9. No need to add anything (phosphoric acid) to get the pH down. I simply circulated the tank thoroughly for 15 minutes and rechecked with no problems. Tank was sprayed out with excellent results. As far as the product getting "gunky" on your spreader impeller I'm sure it is possible as any product containing Urea will attract moisture from the air, especially during periods of high-humidity. I've never used it in that fashion (47-0-0 through a spreader), but I have used it in various analysis with no problem.