UFLEXX & UMAXX fertilizers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FdLLawnMan, Dec 6, 2007.

1. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you guys use either UMAXX or UFLEXX fertlzers in your programs. I am currently using Leco products and am very happy with them but the price increases have me looking around for another source of slow release nitrogen. The prices that I received from the supplier I talked to were very comparable or better than the Lesco prices per 1000 Sq. Ft. Also, I believe UFLEXX is available in both spreadable and sprayable forms which means I could tank mix the sprayable with the my herbicides to make my life easier.
    Any comments are appreciated.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Have not used either product myself but have a good friend in the biz also.
    He says UFLEXX has great results. Only thing is, it's a little hard to get it to melt in the tank with extra cold water early in the Spring. Seems to last longer than standard Urea

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

May have to clean the strainer a little more often. I have not used them due to price difference in the past. With the info I've been getting from my suppliers lately, everything is up inthe air, anything goes. I've even been checking into liquid fertilizer concentrates as a possible alternative. Not much luck so far. If anyone has any good info, it would be much appreciated

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

mark my words carefully, uflex is great as a dry product, never melt it or any fert into a tank as they will burn the tips and really make stuff grow.

THE BIGGEST reason not to use uflex melting into tank comes from personal experience is the particles that make it through the strainer go all the way to the hose end nozzle and clog it constantly causing you a real friggin headache for quite some time after using it too. use a liquid fert in a liquid tank and dont go cheap. they make slow release nitrogen sources that really work awesome so chech into that and take my advice or you will have problems:usflag:

5. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Grassman

I have been looking for liquid slow releases but everything I have found so far is they are at least 5 times more expensive than granular. What do you use?

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I've used Uflexx as my main liquid N sourse for the past two seasons with none of the problems expressed above. Melts in the strainer basket ok. Not like urea, but not bad either. Takes about 100-150 gallons water through a garden hose to melt 6 bags. If I'm really impatient I'll get 5 gal. buckets of hot water, but it's usually not necessary. As far as response, I love it. I've had no tip burn and get 5-6 weeks out of it. I normally apply 3/4 lb. of N (1 1/2 bags/acre) in 50 gal. water per acre (1.25 GPM). I have sone some experimenting and will continue this year, with formulas like 1/2 lb. uflexx and 1/4 lb. of other soluble N like Peters, Knox, etc. Usually like 25-5-15 or something. I ordered some Shaw's 31-3-15 to try in the spring this way. I get just a little quicker response than with straight Uflexx and those solubles have a pretty good micro package as a general rule.. I've also been trying some soluble KCL at like 1/4 lb. so I don't feel so guilty about straight N, lol. I do a lot of mall type properties with strips of grass, islands, berms, etc..., so while we do run a PG and a turf tracker, I'll always have a need for liquids. I do want to try some UMaxx this year. I have one property with a god awful berm that's about 4 acres. From the top I can look DOWN on the top of a Home Depot. It's treacherous just pulling a hose and trying to walk. Anyway, If I can do 2-3 apps. with UMaxx and get it to hold color, it's be worth the extra money. I'll let you know on that one.

7. grassman177

i use coron from helena chemical. 70% slow release and it is 5.35 a gal, 5 gal per 100 gal mixed.

MSTINE, i am glad to hear you had no trouble with yours, the blend we got here had lots of crap in it like i was describing above and it was nothing but trouble and i did get tip burn out of it!!?? there are different suppliers and manufacturers of the same stuff around the country so obvoiusly the formulator you had making yous was better.

8. grassman177

oh yeah, i am using longreen from roots company. it is organic p-k and iron with micro and humic/fulvic. it is 2 oz per 1000 at .13 per oz. this liquid mix i am using is a bit pricey but man it is just great and gets me yard awards and new customers all the time.

9. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Uflexx and Umaxx are rated as Nitrogen Inhibitors not slow release. They are agricultural based products that have crossed over the lawn care industry. You can get 5-6 weeks color out of all chem fert.

The manufacture of the "U" products on their web site does not use the term (slow release). "U" products are vulnerable to UV breakdown and are recommended on the Ag side to be used as a "Tilled in the ground" nitrogen source. The coating is sprayed on the nitrogen so when you melt into a liquid solution the coating is dissolved and diluted and non existent as far as a nitrogen inhibitor goes. The nitrogen inhibitor delays the micro-bile activity on the nitrogen when in the ground. Personally I like the microbes doing their thing in the soil not slowing them down.

10. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

Ufflexx is great! I get it in a 25-0-10 with either 30% of N or 50% of N Uflexx for spreading. For liquid I mix 46-0-0 uflexx with urea in our tank. Ratio depends on temps. Had no problems with it. With both urea and uflexx u get quick green up and the green will last closer to your next application.