1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ugh gotta change the business name!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cessnasovereign, Jul 29, 2006.

1. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call the other day from a guy with a very similiar business name as mine, calling to tell me about one of my customers that called him, after looking up the name in the phone book apparently. I have my business name registered with the county, so it's all legal but he's in the next county over and I also do probably 75% of my work there (I live only 2 miles from the county line.) Soooo, I want to change the business name so it never gets confused. I'm gonna go with "Empire Lawn". It's currently "Cuttin' Edge Lawn Maintenance Co." and his is "Cuttin' Edge Lawn Care."

Anyway, is there an easy way to do this?
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

REMEMBER, in NC it doesn't really matter about having the named registered in your County, because if anyone has the name INC'ed through the State of NC then they "own" that name in the entire state and no one can legally use it or register it in their county or anyway else in the State.

A quick check of State records show that you may also not be able to use Empire Lawn as that name is registered and INC'd, but is not active.
  3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

easy solution! Register with the state!
  4. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

Well when I started I didn't know about inc'ed it through the state so I did it how I was told, which was go to the courthouse, then to the town hall for a license. At the court house there was no mention in the books of Cuttin' Edge except for a hair salon.

But that sucks about Empire Lawn!! Do you know what county or area the guy is from?
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'll give you the link to the NC Secretary of State's Office who handles such. You "may" be able to get the name since the INC is no longer active, bu that would be up to the SOS.