Ugh, stuck spindle bolt...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swingset, May 29, 2008.

1. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I'm one to never overtighten a blade/spindle bolt and they usually break free with two small wrenches but I drove over the end of a log in tall grass today and it bound the blade....really wrenched the bolt on and now I'm totally unable to get it loose.

Tried an impact hammer, long breaker bar, Freeze-off, soaked it in Kroil for an hour, nada zip zilch. Won't budge.

I'm afraid to apply heat it seems awful close to the bearing but I'm at a loss how to move this thing.

Anyone got any miracle cures??

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Heck with a 4 foot breaker it should move:weightlifter::weightlifter:

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Cheater bar or something similar. I have a 3/4" drive rachet with a handle about two feet long. I've removed bolts with it before that the impact wrench couldn't budge.

But one time, I had a bolt I couldn't remove off my BushHog to save my life. At a commercial property I maintain, they are a large electrical contractor company. They maintain their own fleet and I had them use a large impact gun they use for tractors. It spun that bolt like it wasn't even there.

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

a fence post is an excellent cheater bar. put it over your ratchet and it will be smooth sailing.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

This severe condition is because the bolt was initially installed too loose.

If you tighten it firmly to begin with, the blade won't move as much and lodge as hard when it strikes a fixed object.

And eat your Wheaties so you can get that bolt off.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

6' - 8' cheater bar on a heavy duty breaker bar, with a good stout socket. Either it breaks loose, or, you twist it off.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda funny I got one on a new scag that won't budge. I stopped at discount tires and they used their truck impact and nothing. I have had a five foot pipe on the wrench but can't hold socket on the nut...it is going to strip. I sharpend the darn thing in place with angle grinder but gong to take it in to the dealer. I almost sure they will use the torch on it and that will probably fry my bearings. I put some anti-seize on the two I got off don't know if that is good.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The ultimate method to get it off but you will need a new bolt, also make sure to wear goggles and hearing protection and proceed with care. But take an angle grinder to it and CAREFULLY grind off the head, watch it you don't take off too much material from the surrounding areas (such as the blade) and go slow so the heat doesn't build up too much, but a grinder always gets it off lol

9. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Topsites has it right, when mine get stuck something bad i use the fence post at 6' theres not much i cant move with that, but once i just couldnt to save my life get the bolt off on my scag so the dealer used a grinder and just went to town. sometimes you just have to do it, keep the head away just too much risk when you can grind it. best of luck

10. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys thanks for the advise on here, I found this thread just in time. I have a 48 exmark WB that I bought used in april, The old owner put new blades on before I bought it so Im just getting around to its first blade change and I can't get any of the 3 blades off.