1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ugly brown/orange spots on Yews

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Coach Tim, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Coach Tim

Coach Tim LawnSite Member

About two weeks ago I trimmed a clients Yew hedges.She has a two forty foot in length rows of these hedges. Both rows came out nice and neat looking after the job. Today I was looking at them again and the one row has these horrible looking brownish orange spots all over the top of the hedge.
    The other row has still looks great. Does anyone have any idea what the heck might be causing this to happen? Please help me. My client is very particular and will expect a reasonable explanation.
    ( She can be a bit of a pain in the ass.)

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Take Some Pics And A Few Samples Of The Tree To The Agricultural Extension( Penn State Runs It). Sounds Like A Stress Situation Because Of The Hot Weather We Had. Im Not That Far From You .

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Did You Clean Off The Clippings Properly/ Thoroughly ?
  4. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

5. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I trimmed some yews in June, and about 2 weeks later was horrified to see the same thing you're seeing. On closer inspection, however, it turned out that I hadn't cleaned all the clippings off. Next time I'll get them all!