Uh oh...my Honda deck has a crack in it...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Jun 1, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Today while scraping the sludge from my Honda 21" I noticed a crack on the inside of the deck behing the front wheel. ABout 1.5 inches long.Aluminum deck...the mower never did cut well but I thought the heavy da-- deck would at least last. Its 5 years old...Most likley it was my facult from banging it up and down to get the gobs of grass off this spring.

So....will this thing last til the seasons over or should I prepare to buy the new Toro Pro line? Any chance a weld shop could spot weld it ? Problem is its aluminum. thanks

2. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Hey, down here on the west coast of Florida you can knock off the bottom skeg off your aluminum out board motor with no problem. Lots of welding shops here weld them back on as good as new.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A no brainer Gar...weld it so it lasts the season...maybe more too.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Gary, lately I keep seeing these infomercials on tv for a product called Alumalite (not sure of spelling).

They're rods used for welding aluminum. All you need is a propane torch.

Maybe try a net search for them. If you don't come up with anything, I'll watch for the commercial, and get the number for you.

5. GarPA

from PA

thanks guys...I knew I would get good info here

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I messed up the name, it's Alumaloy.
    The phone # is 1-800-917-WELD just incase you wanted it.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i would take it to a welding shop and get them to TIG weld it, it is the best solution for strength in aluminum

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Oopss. double post:blush:

10. GarPA

from PA

I took it to a weld shop and they said they can make it almost as good as new for $20...not sure of their weld process but he said he fixes alum mower decks all the time...works for me...this Honda is going to be retired after this season...man its one helpless mower in this kind of growth pattern