Uh oh thinking about going green this year!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Feb 23, 2008.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Just went and looked at a new JD 757 and was very impressed. Last summer when I went to chicago to visit I watched a bunch of guys cutting some super deep lush grass with 757 mowers and they were doing a fantastic job. The cut looked like a carpet and I was very impressed. I kept my eye on every JD ZTR I saw while I was there and they all cut fantastic.

I have to be honest I have NEVER seen anybody use a JD mower around here in my area. Even the dealer told me they dont sell many of them but the ones they have sold the customers love it. He also told me they keep one 757 demo at all times and give it out as a loaner should a customer have a mower break down. They will also deliver the demo to my location and pick up a broken mower for free. He said they also put commercial landscapers at first priority above everybody else. This is something that is completely unheard of around here. Nobody here will give you a demo to try. Nobody here will give you a loaner should your machine break down. Nobody here will come to pick up or deliver mowers for free.

I am freaking SOLD on GREEN! 757 here I come!

Errrr dang it the Gravely 160 XDZ is going to make my choice tough. Couple bucks cheaper and I already know for sure how much I love gravely. Ahhhhhhhhhh no wonder my hair is going grey at only 29 years old!

2. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I have been running a 757 for the past 6 years. Never been back to the shop. Go for it, you will not regret it. Great cut also. I am fixing to buy a 997 John Deere but will be keeping the 757 I currently own. If your dealer is going to let you demo by all means try it out. Good luck with your purchase!

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought my first Deere a couple months ago. 657 Quik Trak. So far so GREAT.

4. ProStreetCamaro

Sweet thanks thats what I like to hear! I want to demo the unit but it is still cold here. I guess I could wait till the grass starts growing in march sometime.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I've only used a 757 once when it was brought to our shop for service. Not a bad mower by any means but for what the local dealer (whcich sucks by the way) is asking for it, I would never have it. I don't like the idea of paying more for the name, and too I felt the mower was slow. Now I like Gravely but I would recommend the bigger 260Z. It's got a bigger frame, motor, hydro pumps/motors, just an all around bigger and tuffer machine. I bought mine with the hydro deck lift for $8K brand new. The hydro pumps on the 260 is nearly twice the size of others at either 21 or 22cc.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

What you're dscribing is really kind of standard service for most dealers that attract commercial customers ... you might want to check out some more dealers in your area !!

7. ProStreetCamaro

Around here its not. We have been to and talked to every dealer with in an hour of here and this JD dealer is the only one to offer demo units and free pickup and delivery and a loaner.

And Albertys I love gravely mowers always have. I think the 260 is a bit overkill for us. That thing could withstand a nuclear bomb going off and all we do it residential and I or my father are the sole operators of our equipment so our stuff doesnt get abused.

I thought about another Cub Tank but I laughed in the guys face when he quoted me $8300 plus 6% tax plus $300 extra if we wanted 0% financing. Come on now get real Cub. $9,000 for a 60" Tank after taxes? Is cub trying to run its commercial line out of business?

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm, around here John Deere is cheaper than Gravely. Guess not everyone pays for the name. My last 757 was only $7200.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I did much the same thing, bought JD green, when JD green was a very rare sight on any trailer. My 717A has nearly two seasons behind it, and I am very pleased. The 7 Iron II deck does a great job of mowing -- good cut surface, good clipping dispersal, keeps pretty clean.

I use it only part-time, about half time. After 500 hours, it has been trouble-free. I have no complaints. Mine has never been back to the shop.

Enjoy your JD green, even though other contractors in the area may not have one on their trailer. Sometimes it is good to go against the flow.

10. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Prostreet,
    Did you try calling finches in Westminister,Md theres also a finches in eldersburg..thats all they sell is JD and leftover lesco's.