Uh oh, we got a problem... Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ALarsh, May 4, 2005.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

So I am going under my new toro Z557 (47 hours) to lube all of the joints. As I am looking for one of the ones under the engine, I notice my hydro oil filter is all oily. So, I proceed to check the hydro oil level and notice it is low (not terribly, just a little below the "Cold" line. Then I see that my garage floor has a nice present of hydro oil waiting to be cleaned up. Now, this is an hydro oil filter seal leak. I have to replace the the filter. Will the oil drain out like an engine oil filter will? How do I go about fixing this? Do I have to bleed the hydro system now?

Thank You!!

IMG_2258resize.jpg

IMG_2256resize.jpg

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Is the filter loose? Yes you will loose some oil when you change it, just change it out quick. No, you shouldn't have to bleed it. I would take it to the dealer with only 47 hrs on the machine, you shouldn't have to mess with it already. But if you do change it yourself make sure everything is clean around the fill cap, you don't want ANY dirt falling in.

3. ALarsh

from Midwest

The filter was a little loose. I tightened it up and cleaned around the filter. Just a little bit of oil leaked out. Would it be ok to just add some oil to top it off and monitor the filter to see if the problem persists?

Thanks

4. DLCS

Yes, that would be fine. Chances are it was just the filter being a little loose. Add a some fluid to get it up to correct level and run it for awhile and see if it leaks. Just be sure to clean the filler cap area good before you remove the cap.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what I would just keep a eye on it,If it still leaks take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it. Isn't that why you bought a new unit anyway,So you wouldn't have to work on it for a long while !

6. ALarsh

from Midwest

So I went to Farm & Fleet, Home Depot, Jiffy Lube, Mobil gas station and Napa auto parts and none of them had 15w-50. What a waste of an hour. My quest continues tomorrow. :angry:

7. Restrorob

I wouldn't give 20/50 a second thought ,Thats whats run in Dixie Choppers,Cub Tanks,Most Gravleys,Case Ingersolls,Your hydro pumps are probably made by the same company.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

go to the dealer & tell them why you need it they should just give you a quart. Take your pics with you to show them, they may even give you a filter.
    Thats a shame brand new and have that, they didn't prep it very good.

9. DLCS

I agree!!!!

10. Restrorob

Stumper20 Brought up a good Point, If one of my customers had this problem I would do the same thing ,And probably threw in the first Tune & service for the aggravation.