Uh Oh, What Caused This?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Jun 24, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

These pics are of a lawn that I maintain. I just picked it up this spring. I am at this property every week and it was perfectly fine last week, but this week when I pulled up it looked like this. It's not that dry around here yet.

Hopefully you can help me out from the pics.

Fisher Lawn 001.jpg

Fisher Lawn 002.jpg

Fisher Lawn 003.jpg

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Drought damage on Kentucky bluegrass. I'm sure is it's clay soil. We're seeing it here too. He should water thoroughly & regularly to bring it back out of dormancy, but it might take up to 3 weeks. Also try to avoid mowing during hot/sunny conditions.

If I were there, I'd pull out the "truth detector" (soil probe). If you can get the probe 2 or 3 inches deep (which I doubt you could), you can see how deep the root system is by pulling away the soil from the bottom of the core sample until you can see grass roots (not the band:laugh:).

3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

it looks a little like melting out disease possibly. the way the blades are dying back from the tips. lawns are dryign out finally in this area too, but not this bad just yet. either way tell them to get the sprinkler out.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think this is human-caused. Edges are sharply distinct in a straight line especially on left. Perfectly rounded end on the right.

5. FL-lawnjockey

FL-lawnjockey Banned

I'd ask the homeowner/resident what was there in the last week...Maybe a tarp left out to dry? A roll of roofing/tar paper to heat up & become pliable?
    I'm far from an expert but I'd say the damage was man-made.

Rob

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

No tarp. No disease. Just clay soil with shallow roots. These are classic pics of KBG on poor soil. Probably some pea gravel, sand, etc underneath too. Notice it's in the front hot/sunny yard....classic drought damage (dormant turf w/shallow roots). No doubt. Especially with the "man-made patterns". But try to tell the homeowner this???? That's why I call the soil probe the "truth detector".....it never lies.

7. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

Brown Patch?

8. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

You weren't spraying Drive 75 or herbicide with spreader/sticker were you?

9. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Gravelyguy,

Where are you in Indiana?

How much rain have you had there in the last couple of weeks?
    If you are like us around Indianapolis we have had plenty. There are no signs of drought damage anywhere here.

Are there any other lawns showing any stress or damage or is it just this one?

Has the homeowner done something, yard sale with something laying out there?

10. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Ask your customer if they have a pool and recently opened it up for summer. Looks like they laid the pool cover on the lawn to wash it off. We see this every spring. Just my guess.