1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Uhaul trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MikeKle, Jun 4, 2008.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone ever buy those used Uhaul trucks? I am looking for a new lawncare truck and have been looking at Isuzus but most of them have way too many miles or they want too much money for them, So I got to looking online and came across Uhauls site and they sell 17ft E350 box trucks with the 7.3 diesel for $2995 to $4995!! They list fuel mileage as 11(better than I get now),The one Im looking at is 1990 E350,17ft box with 66,000 miles for $2995. I think this would work great for lawn care, everything could stay on the truck and stay safe and dry,even enough room for a work bench at the front! I am seriously considering this,having no car payment would be great,more money to stick in the gas tank!!Just thought Id check lawnsite to see if anyone everr went this route and what kind of luck they had with them.
  2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

That sounds like a good deal. Make sure you look it over well before you buy and test drive it. I dont think the people who rented it cared what they did to it.
  3. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Go for it!!!
  4. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I've looked at them and thought they were a good buy if you can get one that is in decent shape. I would definitely have a couple thousand extra saved up to send it to a good diesel mechanic and have it tuned up, all filters replaced, all fluids flushed, etc. What are you driving now that gets less than 11mpg? My Ram gets about 16-17 towing everything in my signature on a 16 ft open trailer.

One word of caution about the old 7.3 Fords--they have no horsepower. They do have some torque, but you definitely will not be speeding around. My church has an oldFord shuttle bus with a 7.3 IH diesel and it has some low end, but you've really got to rev it to get it going down the road.
  5. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I think I am going to look into a U-haul truck after I'm out of H.S. so my truck can be used to spray and U-Haul to mow.
  6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Had one when i was mowing..Worked great
  7. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

I am looking as well for a Uhaul truck thats weird small one as well think it will be better want to make it look like the SLT Super Lawn Trucks but My way :) CHEAPER lol
  8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Don't forget.. You get what you pay for. People who rent trucks don't care how they drive them. "Hell its a rental" You're prob getting someone elses problem.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I would try to find the newest one you can. My grandfather has had several uhauls over the years at porta service shops. Some are lemons and some are great. A buddy of mine has a used ryder chevy 3500 12' box gas for his stripping company. $8500 and it was 3 years old.
  10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

exactly, everytime i get behind the wheel of something thats a rental or loaner i become an even worse driver than i already am, lol..