uhh, i think it broke

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Apr 22, 2007.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

okay, so on my way home from work (sears) tonight, a coyote, or dog, or something runs out in front of me. I instinctively slam on the brakes and swerve, while the animal is just kinda slowly moving off the road. after coming to a complete stop, and making sure i didn't hit the dam thing, i take off again. but this time something is not right. the brakes are making this horrible sound when i slow down, and when i put it into gear, and hold my foot on the brake, it makes a rattling sound, but goes away when i apply throttle. it stops okay, but kinda studders to a halt when you reach 10 MPH. The truck is covered under a 30 day warranty, so i think i'm gonna call in late to work tomorrow,a nd go to the dealer cuz they're open on Sunday, and make them fix this right then and there. i'm no mechanic, but your vehicle's brakes should be able to quickly stop you with out causing any damage to the vehicle.

i'm posting a picture of the brakes, maybe someone can tell me a little more based on the picture. they look like this on both rear brakes, but the front seem to be fine.

DSC01778.jpg

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any more pictures its hard to tell with that one. What vehical is this ?

I think you have a rust problem it might be time to go to a shop and have a total revamp on the brakes.

3. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If thats whats left on the rear? Looks like half a brake drum but ive never seen anything rusted like that brake drums are so think i cant imagine them rusting in half i cant really tell what it is almost looks like a rotor for disk brakes

4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

If its a newer Chevy, its probably the ABS sensors in the rear calipers. They are known for going bad. The ABS is probably kicking on and off. I've had the sensors replaced on both of my trucks. If so, you may want to contact a Chevy dealer, as certain VIN # ranges are under recall for this problem. My '99was covered, but my '04 isnt yet. ?????????????????????????????

5. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

That is just your dust shield/ backing plate. It probably got bent in a little and is rubbing the rotor. It is really rotted though and you should think about having it replaced. If you took a flashlight and looked in there I bet you would find a piece bent and rubbing.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I never serve or slow down for animals. And this method has not failed me yet.

7. mike lane lawn care

well, I called the dealer where i bought it, and they are gonna get it from the sears parking lot todya, and try and get it finished by the time they close.

8. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

Mrust, but what if its 150lb deer or 1500lb cow.

9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

You don't do landscaping anymore?

10. mike lane lawn care

are you asking me? yea i do landscaping, and i work at sears, in the lawn and garden department, works well, cuz i actualy know what i'm talking about.