uhoh! Problem with my 1 week old brand new lawn!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by blackthumb, Jun 15, 2004.

1. blackthumb

blackthumb LawnSite Member

alright. So Last monday I got my lawn installed (see me last post with link so to pics if you like)

We've been watering the lawn twice a day for about 1.5 to 2 hours at a time.. we've forgotten to turn off the sprinklers a couple times and it got 5 hours one day then another hour later that day... today it got 3 hours one zone, 2 hours the other... (2 zones service the back and each zone runs for 2 hours at a time twice a day)

aaaanyway, I was out there today laying down a drip line for the hedges and I noticed that the grass is yellowing out in the part closest to the ground (if you part the grass you can see it kinda looks like it's rotting) and it's looking like it's going to thin out or something AND there are a ton of mushroom type things growing everywhere. they're slimy too. So I didn't water this evening because the ground looked far too wet and the mushrooms are worrying me.

Are the mushrooms a product of too much water? Am I watering it too much?

We layed some new sod in the front where it doesn't get so much water and *that* looks good and tough, not as mushy... Have I damaged the lawn? Is there something I should use for the mushrooms or will those go away on their own. Will simply cutting down the water by more than half solve the problem?

PLEASE HELP MY NEW LAWN I'M AFRAID I'M KILLING IT. sorry for yelling but I'm worried. :(

please, any help is much appreciated.

editing to add link to lawn pics. I just realized the old link don't work anymore.

CLICK ME FOR PICS

2. I-Hawk

I-Hawk LawnSite Member

I'm no expert by any means, but I recently did a similar thing. Watered heavy and the thatch at the soil looked like it was rotting and some shrooms appeared. I held off for a full day and let some 85+ degree sun dry it a bit. By noon of the next day, the grass had really sprung up and the roots were starting to dive into the soil below. I would cut back a bit on the water, but still keep it somewhat moist. It also looked like you have plenty of shade as well, which will keep it wetter than normal. It worked for me, I guess, but Kansas and Florida are two different places and we most likely have two different kinds of grass.

3. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

I would say don't water so much, watering too much only creates a shallow root system, the plant is getting enough water at the top, so why would it strain to grow roots down through the soil..

As for the mushrooms..... put up some flyers advertising free organic "shrooms" somewhere in the rave district... you may not have to worry about using any chemical on them.. they may just... vanish.

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

You are watering way to much i mean way to much. If you water to much you will get fungus.

You have mushrooms because you are watering to much and the tree roots are rotting. Did you take a tree down? If not you will be

5. blackthumb

hrm.... I guess I was right then. I keep telling my husband that I'm so happy I actually went out there yesterday and noticed it!

So we haven't turned the sprinklers on since yesterday morning and I think I'll hold back till tomorrow evening.

In the process of removing all our weeds we did find and remove many large roots mostly all dead but they are still crisscrossing the back yard. We have tons of trees about 21 most of which are in or near the back. several old flowering bushes have died or been removed in the last year and one lemon tree and one tangerine tree uprooted and removed. but with that we still have 3 citrus trees, a starfruit tree and one humongus flowering one I have no idea what it's called (pointsienna?) back there.

I figured all these trees would just suck the moisture right out of the ground.

Beran, if I didn't have two dogs peeing on everything I wouldn't have felt so disgusted by the idea of anybody eating those nasty little slimy things. lol

Thank you guys for answering me and confirming my suspicions. My husband was also freaking out scared that we'd lose 750 bucks worth of sod by being ignorant.. so one thing we need to do is obvious (hold back on the water) but what about the mushrooms?

So I use fungicide you think or leave it alone?

thanks!

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

turn off the water you should be getting enough rain this time of year. Only water if the grass looks dry and wilted. If you do water only water for 10-15 minutes any more is a waste because the roots are still shallow also dont water in the evening water in early am. Once the grass is rooted 1/2"-3/4" of water 2x per week is all you need, set a few cans in the yard and see how long it takes to get that much water and thats how long you run each zone if you get that much rain dont irrigate.

7. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Leave the mushrooms alone, once you cut down on your watering you will see the mushrooms disappear.

Don't overwater. If you underwater you will notice and the grass will respond better than if you overwater and wait for it to dry out. You want longer root systems, they will not grow long with too much water. (like mentioned above)

Water in the early morning (like mentioned above).

Sprinkler systems time settings will need to be adjusted several times a year to avoid mushrooms and overwatering. Depending on the rain and temperature.

8. blackthumb

thanks guys, this sod was just layed down last weekend which is the reason I was watering so often as well has the hot weather. It does rain a lot in June here but we have not seen rain in about 5 days now and it is terribly hot (90's) but i'll just cut the water and watch the blades for signs of needing water. I know how it looks when it's too hot and it needs water so i'll just keep an eye out for that.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes after a few days.

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

just remember, over watering can be as bad as not watering. try holding your head under water for an hour without being able to breathe, you'd drown.. so does your lawn if there's too much water.

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

If it continues to decline dig up a piece and take it to your county extension office along with some soil from different areas for a ph test they will be able to diagnose any disease problems etc. and give you recomendations to get it back in shape.