Ultavac and hitch kit

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by HazellLawnCare, Mar 3, 2004.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting ready to purchase 2 liquid cooled lazers with 60" decks they will both be equiped with the ultravacs. My question is can I take the ultravac off of one and use the hitch kit to pull a lawn roller without much hassle?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hazell,

I don't know that I'd recommend any Lazer for use pulling a lawn roller. All Lazer Z's are limited to a recommended 80 lb. draw weight for towing attachments. Most rollers will exceed that.

Thanks,

Terry

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I have the hitch kit on my exmark 52z. we often tow a john deere 15 cu ft utility cart . We often carry some heavy loads of material in it and it doesn't seem to strain the machine at all.

Dont mean to contradict what Terry has said but I'm just mentiong what we tow with it. That cart is big help to our productivity on landscape work

4. Lizard

Lizard LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer 52 HP that we tow a vac system in the fall and spring. It gets loaded down with a couple hundred pounds and have never had a problem, though we hooked the same vac to a 2003 Liquid cooled lazer and it broke the weld in the back. That mower has very thin metal and cannot support much weight. Check the structure before you decide to put the equipment under load.

5. eXmark

Lizard,

Sounds like a bad weld. It's not the structure we're concerned about when towing. It's the hydro drive system.

Remember you wouldn't use a Corvette to pull your travel trailer......so you probably don't want to use the Lazer to replace a tractor.

Thanks,

Terry

6. Lizard

Lizard LawnSite Member

Terry,
    Just curoius, are you stating that Lazers should not be used with a collection system? I hope that this is not the case. If the hydro drive system can't hold up on a $11,000 exmark, then why would another tractor hold up? All we use are Exmarks and I would like to trust that our equipment should be able to be used for more than mowing. I know that there is a reasonable amount of stress that any machine can handle, but the weld brake that I was refering to actually was more than the weld. Pieces of metal were gone after towing a trailer. The rear base of the machine, basicially crumbled. Do you know if this would be covered under warranty? If not, I plan to rebuild the rear frame this spring myself, but I would like to avoid that if Exmark is willing to stand behind this problem. Let me know.
    Thanks,
    Marc

7. eXmark

Lizard,

I'm sorry I evidently was not clear in my post. I never meant to imply that any of the Lazer Z, Lazer HP, Lazer XP or Lazer EPS was not designed to handle the rigors of a vac system.

The UltraVac has performed extremely well, and the machine has performed well with aftermarket vac systems as well.

The real issue is the towing capacity and how it relates to the hydro drive system. If you try to pull too heavy of a load with too much weight on the tongue you can potentially damage the drive system and shorten the life of the components. This is not different than your car or your truck. If you pull heavy loads with your F350 in time you can shorten the life of the drive train. If you try to pull those same loads with your Corvette you will shorten the life of the components much faster.

The Lazer is a very high performance mowing machine. It is not a tractor and was never intended to be a replacement for a tractor just as a sports car probably is not intended to replace a 1 ton truck. There is often a "right" tool for a job and other times there is a tool that can get you by. In the case of the Lazer it really depends upon the load.

As far as the frame damage it really depends upon what and where. I am not aware of any frame issues with the UltraVac. You would need to take the mower into the dealer for inspection.

Was it the UltraVac that caused the damage, the trailer hitch etc? Ultimately you'll need to take the unit in so someone can see the damage and make a determination.

Thanks,

Terry