Ultimate double blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by accuratelawn, Oct 27, 2001.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

A guy in town has manufactured a blade for the double set up.
    There is a "notch" or "bend" in the middle so that when you put another blade under it both cutting edges are at the same height. Hope that is clear. ______----_____ roughly looks like that.

2. casey

casey Guest

What I would like to see is a Gator blade with teeth on both sides, no cutting edge, to be used as the top blade of a double blade set-up. I am having a metal-head friend work on one.
    When I become rich & famous selling the double gator I will still remember the small people that made it all possible.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Will he be marketing these, or is this just something he made up for himself?

This brings up a question I meant to ask. I see on Eric's site where he describes his doubles set up that he has a bracket that holds the two blades together and in the correct position.
    Where do you get a bracket like this, or is it homemade?

It sounds like the blade described in the original post would make this bracket unnecessary. But if those blades aren't on the market yet, where do I get a baracket?
    Thanks.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The blade accuratelawn is talking about has been out for a couple of years. I've got 2 sets of them, but don't use them. The problem with them is, you have to sharpen it plus the other blade daily, since they are both cutting grass. If I use a double blade bracket, I don't have to sharpen the top blade daily since the top one doesn't cut grass, it just chops up clippings.

I got these blades at Dixie Chopper and I got my brackets at Dixie Chopper. I like the brackets much better than the blades with the hump in the middle. ;)

5. casey

casey Guest

So Eric, king of doubles, what do you think of a Gator with no cutting edge, both sites choppers, for the top blade?

6. Eric ELM

Can you explain the Gator with no cutting edge, both sites Choppers? I don't understand that one. :confused:

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can't see wgere these bent blades would serve to any advantage, as having both of the blades on the same level would mean less exposure of the clippings to blade edge. Take for instance mulching blades. They have two and sometimes three different cuting levels. These are that way for a reason. Gators are the same way, the fins are at a different height. More levels, more clipping cutting.

8. casey

casey Guest

Eric,
    No cutting edge, Gator teeth on both sides, I'm having someone work on one what do you think? Could use them top & bottom for straight leaf cuts.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Eric, the bracket that you got at DC, does this work on other brands?
    In other words, what are all the other guys using on thier machine to run doubles?

10. Eric ELM

Casey, it might work good for leaves. Let us know how it works out.