1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Flora versus Empire Zoysia

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by billyandholly, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

That is on the table and the Home owner is prepared to do it if needed, but I figure why not play with it and try to solve the puzzle (if possible) before resorting to the drastic measure of replacing.

Deep in my heart especially after talking to Ric from Greg's company above I am thinking that is going to be the only option, however Ric stated that he they did not get much time to study it as the person who installed it in the areas they were concered with replaced it with empire very soon.

The positive news is he said that they put some down at the shop to play with and two years later with no attention etc etc these test plots look better than ever, so maybe it is honestly it is just a time issue to get it established?
  2. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

Yep, time apparently will help ... but who can wait several years for establishment?
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

:dizzy: if sod has not put down deep roots, it does not make sense to water it only twice a week. Was that rule made by a lawn hater? If I or any other professional set irrigation for only twice a week on sod that has not grabbed the ground, we would be looking at a sod replacement at our expense and that is if we were not kicked off the property for incompetence. I set the irrigation to apply an inch of water per week on a twice a day cycle until the sod is rooted. This is based on an ET for our region of about an inch per week and no rain. Then the irrigation is reduced to once per day and finally down to 2-3 times per week. This happens gradually. Grass on almost pure sand will need to be watered 3 x per week. I can stretch it to once a week on poorly drained clay. Of course, there is no need to do this if it is raining an inch or more per week. Then again, be careful of cloudy, low light conditions. Zoysia needs both sun and water to grow. I have seen zoysia refuse to take when there is no sun and constant rain for days on end. It is also possible to over water zoysia sod as well. That happens when there is no concept of what the irrigation system is putting out vs how much the grass needs according to ET.
  4. azeiler

azeiler LawnSite Member

I have someone in S Florida with a very small backyard that thinks he wants a variety of Zoysia called Zeon (he actually just wants a golf course backyard). I don't see many people selling this variety and actually haven't found it yet in S Florida. His contention for wanting this variety is that it has a fine texture and is shade tolerant. His backyard only gets about 1-2 hours of direct sunlight and 4-5 hours of indirect sunlight through tall, very well trimmed Live Oak trees. The rest of the time, it's in the shade of his townhouse.

With that little light, almost any grass is going to have trouble growing (right now it's just weeds). I'm not sure what to recommend at this point. Any ideas?
  5. I wouldn't put down any sod with that little light...i would landscape it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. azeiler

azeiler LawnSite Member

That's going to be a tough sell. But I won't install grass if it's not going to last. I did drive around the development and noticed grass (st augustine) underneath similar trees that are shading his backyard. The only difference is that the more lush grass under these trees have direct sunlight both in the morning and evening. The grass in the more shaded areas around the development is thin, but still nice. There is a small area of his (already small) backyard that may actually get 2+ hours of direct sunlight. Maybe this can be nice grass and the rest landscaped. I'm still back to my question of what grass will do best in low light. At this point, I may even try to direct him to st augustine (which he hates) if that's what's best.