1. waterchikn

waterchikn LawnSite Member

Since it isn't snowing and I am sitting here in from of this
    computer at midnite on a sunday, I was wondering what everyone might think of as the "Ultimate Rig" for plowing
    snow. Not just the plow, but the truck, plow, controls, salter or sander, and other goodies. I am undecided as of right now, but and input in this catagory is good input.

please snow.....please....

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Because I enjoy building my own trucks anyway, I already do a certain amount of "mixing & matching", my idea of what I'd like to have is a real "Heinz 57": Being a big fan of 73/80 Chev GMC's, I'd use a 1-ton dually frame from that era (Dana 60 front, 70 rear) with cab & front clip to match. (Body parts are readily available & inexpensive, plus I like the style) Wheelbase would be the 131.5" of a regular pickup. (Don't want it too long!) Cummins diesel powerplant with a "bulletproof" driveline - possibly the grunt low 4 speed GM used in the 1 ton trucks, with a 205 transfer case. My own custom built deck, similar to what I am running right now, with a stainless V-box spreader (no rust!) that fits onto custom mounts and pins on for quick attach/detach. Central hydraulics to run everything, with quick disconnect fittings for the V-box. Plow? Something along the lines of a Boss V with any of the weak points ironed out. Since this is the "ultimate" rig we're talking about here, I'd get really creative and build a smaller version of a DOT plow wing to clear an even larger path. This would also be designed to be fairly simple to remove when I didn't want to run it. Since I'm from Ontario, I'd have plenty of bright blue strobes so people would see me coming! Oh yes, and a drink holder that would hold a large beverage cup WITHOUT spillage! Just some ideas, I'll probably change some of them once I read what some of you are thinking of!

1975 GMC C-35

3. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

F-15 nose up afterburners on... 'nuff said!!

Bruce

4. plowjockey

Well.. at the very least it would be awsome to see at night. LOL

Bruce

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm..... let's see here:

-Black 2001 F350 Super Duty 4x4 Long Bed Reg. Cab Powerstroke/Auto
    -Western 8.5' V-Plow
    -Western Pro Flo 2 (w/trailer hitch mount)
    -Air Lift air bags on front and rear w/on-board compressor
    -Back Rack
    -Highlighter
    -Hide-a-way strobes in the cornering lights & reverse lights
    -Michelin LTX M/S tires

That would do very nicely...

-Tim

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Bruce, would sort of take care of plowing and salting all in one shot wouldn't it? Might get a little expensive with the fuel bill, though.

You'd probably even have to call Mike to restripe the lot.

7. SlimJim Z71

Oh yeah... one more thing.

-Polyurethane edges on the V-plow.

-Tim

8. plowjockey

Yeah fuel's going to be kinda' high but the speeding tickets are absolutely murder.

Bruce

9. plowjockey

Oh... Yea...pretty rough on asphalt also.

Bruce

10. SlimJim Z71

There goes the whole idea of not waking people up at night...

-Tim