Ultimate Solo Setup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Can-Do Lawn Care, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Can-Do Lawn Care

Can-Do Lawn Care LawnSite Member

You guys want an efficient one-man setup? Here's my idea.

Japanese Kei Class Truck
    [​IMG]
    Compact ZTR of your preference (i.e. Wright Stander, Exmark Phazer, JD 647A)
    Or WB
    48" deck or less
    Put a trimmer rack w/ your favorite 2-cycle stuff (blower, trimmer, edger)
    Put a cage/basket up front/top for tools, gas, etc
    Add HandyRamp

The Z or walkbehind will slip in perfectly in the 4.25' x 6.5' bed. As long as the model weighs less 900# or less you're within capacity.

Can you say 45 MPG?

The only caveat is if your state will allow you to register the truck for street use. I know in MS you can. Talk about efficient.
    With a slightly bigger custom bed you could put 2 WBs (36 and 48)

What do you think?

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Then there's dying in what would have otherwise been a fender bender. As your 1,000 lb load combined with the lightweight structure of the vehicle crush your legs in any type of accident. :)

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My efficient setup looks a bit different. It consists of:

1995 F-150 5.0 with a 8000 pound tow rating, 7 by 16 trailer, 60" ZTR, 1 or 2 Walkbehinds (depending on mood), 1 pushmower, 2 trimmers, an edger, 1 or 2 blowers(depending on mood), bagger, extra fuel in 5 gallon cans, 2 stroke fuel in a 5 gallon can and a lawn sweeper (for pine needles).

You ain't getting all of that in that bitty truck. And yes, I do at times carry all of that equipment.

12+ mpg loaded, 18 mpg unloaded.

Solo.

The efficiency comes into play when I don't have to make multiple trips to get a needed piece of equipment that that bitty truck won't carry.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

My setup is 2500 Dodge Ram diesel, pulling a 24' V-nose enclosed all aluminum trailer.

In the trailer is a Perma Green Spreader, 20 bags of fertilizer, either (2) Kubota 60" ZTRs, or (1) Kubota 60" ZTR and (1) Toro 455-d 11' WAM, a 48" Ferris DD Wb, 3 trimmers, 1 handheld brushcutter, 1 Echo polesaw, 2 backpack blowers, (2) 5 gallon cans of diesel, (1) 5 gallon can of gas, (1) 5 gallon can of mixed gas, spare tire, misc. handcleaner, paper towel rack, garbage can, extra oil, trimmer line,

About the same milege as Richard.

Gotta love the diesel.

It pretty much also depends on the properties you're going to service as well.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

That would be a great asset if you were doing a large condo or commercial business. You could just dump the Z and all of your other equipment right there in a pile and off ya go :laugh:

6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

You can have it! I'll stick with my 05 Silverado crew cab
    4X4 pulling my 16'V nose Hurcules trailer, see those contraptions years ago when I was on Okinawa in the Marines, nothing has changed in the design, Go for it man!

7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's my solo setup. I can mow, fert, and apply weed control in one stop. This is what I carry on the truck:

Novae Gridiron trimmer racks
    48" Exmark TT ECS
    Tanaka 600 Edger
    Shin BP blower
    Stihl HH blower BG 85
    Echo 260 w/ Edgit
    Tanaka 230 (sometimes with hedgetrimmer attachment)
    Trimmer line holder
    Bags of fertilizer
    Spyker spreader
    Shurflo electric backpack sprayer with herbicide
    Gas cans

ramp-unfoldedlawnsite.jpg

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

LOL!

Besides the fact that I don't think I'd want to be seen driving that.

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Richard, I am solo too and like your setup. With an open trailer you can haul mulch, etc. while still having a large enough trailer to haul all of your mowing equipment.

But, there are times when I wished I had an enclosed trailer to keep the equipment dry.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It took me years to get it right for what I needed.:)

I've thought about a cap for the truck and maybe an enclosed trailer too but those just add weight and in these days with expensive gas...