Ultimate SuperPlow

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by ProSeasons, Jan 8, 2001.

1. ProSeasons

ProSeasons LawnSite Member

The technical information on this site is unsurpassed.I love to read about all the different opinions on equipment.Say I was an engineer with a free hand and an empty drawing board tasked with designing an entirely new snowplow any way I wanted,I want this thing to be the be-all to end-all of snow removal concepts.We are the design team.How would we go about it?(just for grins!)

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

1. Heavy duty hydraulic lines

2. V-plow (obviously)

3. Boss SmartHitch type mount

4. High speed pump

5. Down pressure

6. Western-style joystick

7. Trip edge (with urethane edges)

... I'd be happy with that.

-Tim

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Only one thing I would like to see.

Fisher builds an 8.5' V-plow, the build a 9.5' v-plow very heavy duty, designed off the 9' MC series.

Can Fisher just make a regular old 9' v-plow and add 3" little inches to each side of the 8.5' V-plow? Is it really just too much to ask.

Now I think this is up most importance. Only because my Fords have a wide turning radius, and all my F 350 C&C have 9' straight blades. The 8.5' V-plow wouldn't work well when plowing in areas that have a lot of curves. I know any 1 ton would handle a 9' V-plow as long as it was built off the 8.5' platform. So why can't they build me a 9' V-plow?

Geoff

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I think we're just on the cusp of some radical new advances in snowplows.

Look for some "far-out" fold out designs.
    Look for extensive use of polymers were practical.
    Look for "tricked-out" hydraulic systems.

I know already of some equipment guys are using that'll become commonplace in 5 years that will radically improve productivity.

Once we get the SuperPlows, we'll need stickier rubber to bite and actually move all the snow these plow systems will be able to.

5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons LawnSite Member

Who's the company that has the flexible moldboard on their plow? You can literally change the shape of the plow!(increasing the curl of the snow)Would this work like a Vee-plow too? You know,have Vee, Scoop,angle etc...?

6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Build one like the Blizzard plows.

- Extend from 8 to 10 or 12 feet as a straight blade.

- Curl the ends in as to act like a 10 foot pusher as needed.

- Marker lights on the plow ends

- A plow design that would allow for some real heavy down pressure to really scrap or back drag when needed.

7. finnegan

finnegan LawnSite Member

skookum, already have lights on the eges of my moldboards,leds on the tips of my markers,they work awesome

8. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Proper pins, bushings and grease fittings like true industrial equipment.

9. plowguy06

plowguy06 LawnSite Member

i am a non-plower, just a true plow enthusiast.

1) curtis mount

2) better wiring-one plug for all

3) blizzard power extending blade

4) meyer touchpad control

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, a stainless steel moldboard. Not the framework, just the actual "sheet metal". No need to paint it. (I have plans for my plow this summer, got the stainless already)

As Deere John said, bushings and grease fittings where they should be. Especially the center pivot "king bolt". That should use a tapered bearing, like a wheel bearing. It should be a "mini spindle" not a bolt.

No bolts going through metal without a bushing.

A self contained underhood hydraulic system, like Barnes makes (for example). It could serve a dual purpose, work the dump body, and the plow.

A lift cylinder that is interchangeable with the angle cylinders. Then only one spare would be needed, "just in case".

Urethane cutting edge, or a urethane edge, sandwiched between two steel edges. The urethane to support the weight of the blade, and steel to scrape better. Urethane makes for much quieter plowing.

Downpressure system.

Hydraulically controlled plow wings.

A hinged sno foil that can fold back when you don't need it.

A galvanized A frame, as Alan mentioned. Along with the rest of the steel plow framework being galvanized too.

The problem with all of these improvements, is that we'd never buy parts! It has been said that Meyer is in the parts business, but they aren't the only ones. True, other brands may need parts less often, but all plows need parts sooner or later. Anytime you have a bolt holding steel together without bushings, and the bolt is harder than the steel, the steel will wear, causing the holes to oblong.

I have more, but these come to mind right now.....

~Chuck