Ultra Cut deck vs. Turbo Force decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnfella, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Lawnfella

Lawnfella LawnSite Member

Who has used both? I'm considering a Z Master and I'm wondering if they cut as well as Exmark's Ultracut decks. I really like the greasable spindles on the Toro compared to the sealed bearings on the Exmark.

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Both Decks are 5.5" Deep...the TF Should be Very Similar to the UC w/the Baffles Down....Personally I think the Adjustable Baffling is a Gimmick...I Know a Few Guys who have the Baffling Set & haven't Adjusted it Once...If anything the TF Deck Should Cut Better then UC if you Really Need to Adjust in Lush Turf.

eXmark will Do Toro One Better on their neXt Deck w/Instant Drop Down Mulch Baffles..

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I don't use Ultra Cut but the Turbo works great. Cuts great and throws good.

4. cmurphy128

cmurphy128 LawnSite Member

check this out
    7" deep
    the husqvarna tunnel ram deck
    Performance gains due to better dispersal, less double cutting and reduced clogging in heavy conditions. Area specific baffles mulch kits available.
    Universal spindle assembly, commonality of parts
    Triple rolled edge strength, unique backbone construction
    Increased spindle support
    Easy off belt shields
    Flexible plastic discharge shield 42-60"(metal on 72” shown)
    Simplified spindle blower attachment
    25% more productivity

know your choices

Picture10.jpg

Picture6.jpg

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It's 7" deep up front in the tunnel, 5" in the rear. It's an open tunnel with no front flow control baffles. My guess is that it will be a partial improvement in some areas, but I'm betting the discharged clippings will be longer, rather than re-cut as with other decks.

Primarily though, I think that design change to the front of the deck was adopted to solve the issue of decks rolling out of the factory already warped from the welding process.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

if eXmark makes instant drop down baffles, I'll buy it.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Don't get your hopes up.
    Fareway is full of s#it.
    I know this because that design is under patent protection.
    eXmark is not the company who has the patent either.
    Who do I know that is fact?
    Well if I told you the truth of the matter a legal team would sue my balls off.

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

How About I tell You then.....Envy a Bit Full of Himself if he thinks John Deere is going to "sue his balls off" for revealing that they have a New Mulch on Demand Deck in Demo Mode....Is Envy privy to Top Secret JD info ? No.

& if you think the Patents can't be Worked Over...You're Mistaken...How Many Companies have Fully Baffled Mulch Decks ?

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't care who makes a deck that has mulching on demand, as long as it's a sound mower. I did here something about the john deere mulching on demand though.

10. Envy Lawn Service

I hardly think I'm the one who's full of himself here Fareway.
    You must think that you get under my skin following me around with your comments.
    But the facts are you actually amuse me a great deal.
    I actually enjoy watching you dig yourself deeper and deeper with each response.
    Waiting to see what words you'll use for a shovel next entertains me.

Anyways, as far as what you just said up there. You have no clue. There is nothing to 'reveal' here. John Deere's deck is nothing new. It's not in demo mode either. That's a done deal. It's already beyond what's called limited run production, which means they have already produced a small run of them to test the waters and see if there is a demand or market for such a design.

I don't buy the eXmark story, not for a second. Work around patents? I believe there tactics are a little more like wait on them to expire. As much as I would really like to see eXmark go to work on advancing and updating there lines with designs and features that matter.... I can't see it happening. I have to be honest with myself and take a strong look at their track record, and when I do that I see a company that has grown comfortable.

As of now, eXmark feels they already build the perfect mower and they see no fault in them. It's the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" syndrome. NO NEED. They just have no motivation to update, re-design or make any major changes to their line, and they won't have any until an end user issue has customers screaming bloody murder.... or when declining sales, declining bottom line numbers and a loss of market share uncover a glaring need for them to rush to the drafting table and get to work.

Fareway, I'd love to see what you speak of come from eXmark, and be really perfected. But for me it sounds too good to be true. I wish.