Ultra Cut in weedy lots

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 8, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard some say the Ultra Cut isn't that great in weedy lots but in this area it's the one I have to pull off the trailer to get the job done. John Gamba said the ultra cut didn't do well there in weedy lots and I don't doubt him since he is much more experienced than I. But anyway this is the type lot that nothing but the Lazer will cut for me without laying grass over. The Huslter wouldn't cut it period and the Scag leave a little bit of uneven cut. The height is set one 3.5" but it cuts at 3.25" at that setting. It's hard to ever find a stragler and I will show some close ups to show how bad this turf is. Very little grass, mosty weeds, clover, etc with some stems approaching 10". Not trying to make a point really, just showing the reason I like the Ultra Cut because of this type of mess I have to deal with. It's funny this guy mows it with a JD tractor and it leaves a better cut than the Hustler did. I tried the Scag on it and it didn't leave any straglers but it just wasn't overly as smooth as the Ultra Cut. Which I know smooth is relative on a nasty lot like this. The Lazer works better than the other mowers I've used here including Scag, Hustler, Grasshopper, and Dixie.

Pics 029.jpg

Pics 030.jpg

Pics 032.jpg

Pics 033.jpg

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a second weedy lot. Or at least what I call a weedy lot. 10 days since last cut, cut at 3.25". I don't think it left the first stragler. SORRY! I put the after picture first. The bottom two were taken before I cut. These are what I call weedy lots and it hard to get a ZTR to cut this mixed stuff without leaving a mess. Like I said I've tried it with the Tiger and Lazer but they never look as smooth. I have adjusted the height on all mowers so I know I'm cutting the same height. The Lazer cuts 1/4" lower so I set it at 3.5" to get a 3.25" cut

Pics 037.jpg

Pics 022.jpg

Pics 021.jpg

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You proved me wrong:) Are you mowing slower then normal?? What blades are you using??

So why is the hustler still your avatar?:laugh: :waving: :waving:

4. John Gamba

from ct

Send this thread to --- fred fugget at exmark.com it will put a smile on his face. lately he could use something to cheer him up.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh no say it aint so!!!!!!!! The all mighty hustler that everybody raves about isnt up to the task is it? What a shame such a nice heavy duty mower that cant cut well. Geeee no wonder nobody around my area runs a hustler and 95% of all ZTR's on trailers are Exmark Lazers. (Sorry just picking on REALSLOWWW)

Also the Scag not cutting real smooth doesnt surprise me either. Our Scag wb cuts like crap and I watch other guys every day cut with scags and they never produce a nice smooth finish like the Exmarks and Cub Tanks do. Scags are mighty fine machines just like hustler but untill they design a deck that cuts clean and smooth I dont want one.

6. John Gamba

from ct

You go Pro:cool2: :waving: What up yow:laugh:

7. ProStreetCamaro

:waving: I am just sitting here relaxing in an attempt to get rid of this headach! Should be out sharpening the blades for tomorrow but that will have to wait till this headach eases up :cry:

8. John Gamba

from ct

I have one to:cry:

9. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro
    "95% of all ZTR's on trailers are Exmark Lazers."

Isn't that the truth. I will have a 60'' tank on my trailer by the end of the season.

10. ProStreetCamaro

Good choice! Before you buy demo a lazer, Gravely and the Tank if your dealers will let you. Cant go wrong with any of those 3 IMO.