Ultra Cut vs Triton

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 28, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Of course I bought a 05 Lazer with the ultra cut. Didn't know they were going to make a deck improvement or I would have waited. Those that have used both, what do you think? Is it that much better? My ultracut does fine for the most part. I may have to scrape the deck every now and then in really nasty damp grass. I can always say my tip speeds faster than your tip speed, that makes me feel a bit better. I really can't imagine a deck cutting alot better than the ultra cut but I'd like to hear your opinions.
  2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I run four Ultra-cuts. I'd be surprised to see it's title taken. I've been doing this a looooong time with every mower out there.
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

You aren't missing much.

I ran with the ultra cut for 3 years at my other job, we did the townships "weed calls" which are homes with grass over 1.5' tall, it got to be too much of a hassle to bring out the tractor all the time so we just used one of the 60/27 lazers. I remember this one place we did, grass was easily 4 foot tall, could barely see the other workers, leave the deck up at the transport setting and go at it. Left a better cut then a brush-hog on the tractor and it went through it. I wouldn't even attempt that with my triton because I know what would happen.

I'm pretty mad about my new mower now. Took it out today, got to mess with the baffles all around, double and tripple checked that my deck pitch is correct, still cuts like crap.

Might have to torch it and claim it on insurance :D Just kidding of course.
  4. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried leveling your deck kc? Or just checking the deck pitch? What exactly is it doing? When I got my new HP last year (not a triton though) it cut horribly, and I had to level the deck.
  5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

If you look in the exmark forum I just made a big post about all this things issues.

Deck pitch was at 1/8" when I bought it, I adjusted it to 1/4" like exmark recommends. 1/8" pitch with the side baffle closed and it was cutting horrible, 1/4" with the baffle closed and it did alittle better but it's still just pushing grass over I think because it cuts about 3/4-1" higher then what it's set at.

I wish the damn thing would cut like it did for the first 2 hours I had it! Now it's just a turd.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have something on the brain here...
    How about snaping a 'front view' picture of your mower and posting it?
  7. tacoma200

Thank's Henry B that makes me feel better. Seems like everytime I make a big purchase they come out with a bigger better gimick or product. KC 2006 hope you get things worked out. Keep us posted.
  8. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I now have 48 hrs. on my Triton 28EFI 60 inch deck. I've mowed with it in dry conditions and in wet conditions. I've tried the baffle closed and open. At first I wasn't that impressed. I have an ultracut lazer as my backup. Yesterday I went and cut a lawn with grass that was 18 inches high inplaces. The grass was damp but not soaking wet. I kept the deck at 5 inches and the baffle completely closed for the first pass. Ofcourse you have to go slow, but it handles the grass easily. Droped it to 4 inches for the next cut and than did a 3 and a half inch for the final pass. The grass clippings disappeared and today when I went by that lawn it looked like it was cut weekly since the season started. I was impressed.
  9. tacoma200

So how did that compare to the Ultra Cut in the same circumstances, somewhat better I assume by your post?
  10. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

In past years I did several lawns with my ultra cut under the same conditions and I would say the Triton did better. After the first cut at 5 inches the ultra cut would leave a lot of grass uncut where as the Triton seemed to cut more grass. And I would get a buildup under the deck with the ultracut, where as The Triton seems to be clean all the time.