Ultra Cut vs Tubo force

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jun 11, 2009.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Who has run these two decks against each other?

2. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

bumping this thread up. Thanks for posting it, Tacoma.

3. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Hands down, over all best deck ever (except for the spindle bearings) ultra cut wins. Nobody else needs to post after this.

4. tacoma200

I think it would be helpful for guys considering the New Lazer and Toro if we had more information how these decks preformed in the same conditions. If I understand correctly this is the main difference between the new models (Turbo Force or Ultra Cut). Where are you Toro guys?

5. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

The ultracut series 4 on the older machine was a great deck with decent spindle bearings. I have never had one to fail yet on 4 machines. 3 Turf tracer 60" and one lazer 60". 5500 combined hours. Like I said the said the bearings are not that bad just not as beefy as the new series 6 ultracut or the toro turboforce. As far a performance goes the old series 4 ultracut is one of the best decks ever. They managed to improve its performance even more with the series 6. Besides the new beefier spindles they did tweek the discharge area slightly. This helped reduce some clumping in lush, wet conditions. The turbo force is very good design, but the edge goes to the new series 6 deck. When we demoed it head to head with the old deck it performed just a little better on every grass type, zoysia, fescue, rye, bluegrass , wet grass, tall grass, etc. The tweeks they made on the discharge as slight as the appear to be really give it the added edge.

6. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Toro 60" TF. It leaves a very nice cut. I can't compare it to the ultracut cause I haven't demoed one. The TF will cut thru tall wet grass (KBG) and leave it spread out evenly without clumping. I only have about 70 hrs on mine so far, but really like the results.

7. Lonny90

Lonny90 LawnSite Member

I have run next lazer z and g3 back to back. The turbo-force didn't bog as quickly as the ultra-cut. They both left a clean cut, and in the conditions we were in; they both clumped. The turbo-force was carrying a bigger engine than the ultra-cut. However, if both engines were the same; I feel the turbo-force would still bog less. I have not yet seen any deck beat the turbo-force in heavy growth. As a dealer for toro; we try to keep an open mind, if another mower can beat a toro in cut-quality and overall performance, we would consider carrying that line. I have seen many mowers try. I won't mention names unless you ask me too.:)

8. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

Lonny, what size engines did the z and g3 you were testing have?

Those 2 machines are supposidly the same except for the decks. Are there any other differences a potential purchaser should be aware of? Is the handling response identical? I'm considering both. I've tested the Lazer, and will be testing the G3 soon.

9. Lonny90

Lonny90 LawnSite Member

Fastman:
    The z had a 27 koh.
    The g3 had a 29 kaw.
    The only other difference I saw was the controls, the deck, and the seat. The 27 koh lazer comes with a different seat from the 29 kaw. The 27 koh g3 has the same seat as the 29 kaw. The choke is a lever on the lazer and a pull knob on the g3.

The exmark 27 koh had this seat: http://www.exmark.com/popups/seatlarge.htm
    All g3s and 29 kaw and larger exmarks have this seat:
    http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/zmaster/images/zm74935_seat_1972_13_lg.jpg

As far as handling, they are equal; both handle extremely well.

10. tacoma200

You need to post more often. Toro doesn't get it's fair share of post or replies. Were you using the Turbo force and can you tell a big difference when you have the chute opened up or closes down in different conditions?