ultra-hard coating on mower blades

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jim@MilkyWay, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

If this not the correct forum for this thread, then please advice. I need to get longer life out of my bagger blades if possible. They are heavy duty/high lift blades on my Kubota 40" lawn tractor. The blades are only about ten years old, and they still have good mass, even though I keep the blades so sharp that leather gloves and extreme caution must be used to R&R the blades.The wear rendering them useless however, is at the blade tips, but not the leading edges. They are paper thin where the lift angle, or bend, is. Does someone out there know anything about ultra-hard powder coating mower blades? I just hate to toss the blades as they still have usable leading edge material. I understand that the coating would go away from the cutting edge as it is sharpened, but coating might significantly reduce wear at the bend.;)
  2. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Only thing I know of is what they call "hard surfacing" it is mainly used in agriculture for subsoilers and plows. It is basically a stick welding rod that puts down this super tough metal that is really hard, so much that grinders don't even hurt it.
  3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sorry did you say the blades are ONLY 10 YEARS OLD!:dizzy: And you want them to last longer:confused: You must be using these residentially I have commercial customers who are lucky to get a few months out of a set of blades. I would say its time to get a new set.If they are getting thin then the balance will be off and who knows a new set might make it 11 years:rolleyes:
  4. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

I didn't read that part.:laugh: Get yourself some new blades, they couldn't cost that much?..................

I don't see powder coat lasting too long under there either, it's a pretty harsh environment.
  5. Jim@MilkyWay

Thanks for responding.

I wondered if anybody was listening to that little part about the age of the blade. Yes; it is residential, but I enjoy keeping things around a lonnggg time! I'm old and I hope to be around a very long time as well.
    I like the sound of that hard surfacing thingie, but I am inexperienced at welding. The stuff I weld will usually stick together but it ain't pretty. Is it "safe" to have someone modify something with as much potential energy as a 300-400 mile an hour blade tip? Also, correctly using a cheap cone balancer will do a fantastic static balance on the blade, but not a dynamic/spin balance. Further, in addition to the lift angle, I would like to have the entire leading edge hard surface dressed, if practical, so it will stay sharper, longer, as well. Any thoughts?
    I might mention that I have a good(viz overkill) procedural wright-up on cheap cone balancers which will probably stand up to scrutiny. If anyone is interested I can have "my secretary" type it up and post it.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing I've ever hard surfaced is excavator and loader buckets. I'd just buy some new blades, a good set shouldn't be more than $50 or so.
  7. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

The rods that you use are fairly expensive, along with paying someone to weld them up and rebalance. I think by the time you pay someone to do all that to those 10 year old blades, you could have bought several sets of blades that would last you 20 years !! :laugh:
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Good lord, just buy a new set of blades. I am lucky to get 100 hours out of a set and you have 10 years worth of run time on them. If the lift wing is eroding down then try to avoid sand pits. Sand = MEGA EROSION on blades.
  9. Jim@MilkyWay

Lift wing.
    Thank you.
  10. Jim@MilkyWay

Whoops; forgot something
    PJD, I like your pic. Did you ever see a video called K-Pax?