Ultra-Vac Blues

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Lawn-N-Garden Guy, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Hi , I just purchased an Ultra vac kit for my 48' ZTR and I am not getting the performance that I think I should.
    I have problems with the vac not sucking up everything under the deck esspecialy the right side is leaving a trail on every pass
    My dealer told me it is a very powerful unit ,as for now I am very dissapointed spending 1300.00 on on a peice of equip. that I can't use.
    Maybe its just an adjustment or something that I am unaware of.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Lawn-N-Garden Guy,

Here are a few things to check. First of all look at your belt tension and make sure you have the right blower belt (48" blower belt is a 653333). The blower idler shouldn't be any wear close to the stop. Make sure that the idler pivot has been greased properly and the pivot isn't dragging or hanging up. Also make sure that your engine RPM is where is should be 3600.

I am guessing that you are bagging leaves and running our notched air-foil blade? If you are trying something different let us know and we should be able to help.

Thanks, Fred.

3. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx Fred for gettin right back,I dropped the machine off at the dealer to have a look see ,while I was there when he called his rep and I overheard them talking about belts,Hopefully this is the problem.
    From what I've been reading ,there should be a baffle kit fix for blow out but exmark doesn't make one for the 48.

I thought it was just me till I came home and my wife even was complaining about this problem.Now I got to fix the problem or get rid off it,Especially after she found out what I paid for it.lol

I have a lot of faith in Ex-Mark equip.so I hope this problem can be resolved.

4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

hate to say it, but it happens with these. I have two with ultra vac's. I have gator blades on them right now and it doesn't do it as much. thats why when I am doing leaves I try not too stripe. I always keep the right side of the deck towards a strip I am going to cut over.

5. eXmark

Cutter1,

You may want to switch to something besides the Gators. From out testing these blades can actually increase the amount of blow out depending upon conditions. Please keep in mind however that what does not work for us in here might work fine for you in PA but it might not work at all for someone in OH. If it works for you stick with it. If it does not then try a set of low lifts or solid air foils and compare the results.

Thanks

Terry

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 52 inch hp with ultra vac. Last year I got some low lift blades, and there is no blow out, but not all of the leaves get sucked up. :mad: Guess there is not enough lift with them.
    I have ordered the blowout kit for mine. Mabey this wil help with the problem.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its time to make the anti-blowout baffle for the smaller decks.;)

8. eXmark

Hoss,

Thanks! I was hoping you were watching.

Terry

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm watching. I tried to make it clear to everyone at GIE that it needed to be done.

Maybe one day the new people will not even know there was ever a blowout issue. Heck, the baffle might even come standard equipment with the ultra-vac. I know what kind of production increase that baffle made.

10. eXmark

Hoss,

Thanks! While we are testing several things it's the feedback from guys like yourself that really hits home with our product planning group, engineers, managers and even the guys like Fred, Dustin and myself. It's kinda where the rubber hits the road so to speek.

Thanks again for your suggestions and efforts.

Terry