ultra vac deck height

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Quality Lawn Care, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Quality Lawn Care

Quality Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hello,

Just picked up my new LZ HP 52" mower with the ultra vac on it. I tried it out on my lawn and didn't think it picked up as well as I had hoped. I tried lowering the deck to 1.5" and it picked up better, but now I'm cutting the grass way too short and filling the bag with grass. I only had a few leafs left on the lawn from last year and a fews twigs. The grass was slightly damp, but I thought it still should have picked it all up. I have alot of spring clean-ups to do this month and was hoping to just suck it all up with the Ultra Vac. What height should I set the deck at and what blades should I be using? I have the factory blades on it now. Thank you for your help. With all the good things people say about your vac, I'm sure with some adjustments and practice using it I will be pleased with it.

John

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure what the problem is, mine with high lifts on will suck pretty hard. I just set the height at whatever I want the grass to be.

You may have leaves stuck to the soil at this point. It has been all winter. If thats is the case, no it probably will not get them unless you lower the deck.

Put a tiny tach on and make sure the RPM's are set correctly.

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

almost sounds like the belt isn't around the pulley on the ultravac itself and you are just picking up secondary blowby coming from the deck. what kind of leaves are you trying to pick up? it sould pick just about anything up at 3 inch height. gators are the way to go for chopping stuff up but the factory blades should work just fine.

i'd check and see if the ultravac impeller is actually turning (belt is on good, it can be tricky).

fred or one of the guys should be able to help also.

also the wet leaves will be harder to collect just from it changing the properties of the leaf.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

John,

All the suggestions the guys had are good. I would however look at the conditions first.

You said your picking up leaves. Many of these leaves may have been there since last fall, under the snow, wet, frozen then thawed etc. The only way your going to get all of them is with something that will physically pull them loose from the ground. You may want to consider the JRCO spring tooth de-thatcher. The nice thing about this attachment is it fits on the mower and it compliments the mower as well as the vac.

That being said, if mowing conditions are not the problem I would then look at the deck. The vac really does not lift the debris off or out of the lawn whichever the case may be. The vac only ensures that the debris that come out of the deck are sent back to the catcher. The lift from the mower deck should be doing the actual "cleaning" of the lawn in this case.

Try this; remove the tube and the impeller from the mowers. Try to lift the debris and side discharge it out the side of the mower deck. If it's not lifting as much of the debris as you feel it should then it's either conditions and your asking more from the mower than it can deliver or the mower needs to be looked at.

Make sure the engine rpm's are checked and that the spring loaded deck idler is functioning properly. If either of these is not up to spec then you'll see a drop in blade tip speed and thus a decrease in lift from the deck.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Terry