Ultra-Vac Owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DieselDeere, Sep 4, 2003.

1. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm thinking about buying an 2 bag Ultra-Vac and have a few questions:
    When using plastic bags, will it still compact the grass?
    How often does it clog when cutting tall, wet grass?
    How do you know when the bags are full?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

#1. ???huh???
    #2. I've hardly ever got mine to clog.
    #3. Experience mainly. I usually know about how fast its filling up. All I have to do is swing my arm around and hit the bag. Its pretty much effortless and simple.

3. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

i;m guessing you want to line the bags with plastic bags right? If so yes it will still work nice, thats what i had to do while dethatching and some leaves this spring.
    If you experince any clogging you will notice a trail of discharge next to the chute, mine clogged alot when i first got it turned out it was a bad belt, now it works great.
    Like hoss said just give the bag a little tappity-tap-tap- and you will know if its full.

4. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Yes, I want to use plastic bags. Hoss, Terry said that when using plastic bags they may not fit as much if I were using the standard cloth bags, do you agree?

5. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

I reach around and tap the bag as well to see if its full when picking up leaves or grass. You will get use to the properties you have and will know when its time to dump.

But! Make sure you are not wearing Polar fleece when you do that , if you use your left hand. Or else you will end up with an extra arm hole.:D ( muffler burn )

With grass and leaves, the crap will start blowing out the tube hole on the bag cover and things may get dusty. This is something you will notice. Kinda like a fly buzzin around your face.

The leaves or grass you will notice that they are not getting picked up. Sure sign of clogged tube or full bags. Thats when the bag tapping comes in. It is a real pita to have to stop and unclog the tube and blower when you do not want it blocked up.

I have not had a problem with wet grass blocking up the blower or tube as of yet. But leaves ? They gonna get ya.

You are gonna want the biggest bags you can mount on the mower. They fill up quick.

I have not tried the plastic bag in the bag trick. Worth a shot though , if I can find a bag to fit the stock bags. I have been just using a few barrels with plastic liners in them . Dump the canvas bags into them , then take them out and load new bags into the barrel for next time.

6. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

1) I never tried putting plastic bags inside the cloth bag as the cloth is supposed to breath and allow air to escape as the bag fills.
    2) When cutting tall, wet grass I found it a problem w/ the vac & chute clogging. Had to remove the blower and clean it out as much as I emptied the bags.
    3) You get a feel for how the bags are filling when you see stuff NOT getting picked up.

7. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 3 bin bagger and I keep a ocassional eye on the r/h bag. I can see when it is full by the firmness and thats how I know when its time to dump. I tore one of the bags up today so my question is does any one know the price to replace just the cloth bag and not the frame. The whole bag assy with the frame is $135 (ouch) I hope just the actual bag is a lot cheaper. I am alse checking with a local upolstry shop Monday morning. In this grass its easy to get it clogged up, as a matter of fact I traded my 23hp 60" yesterday for a 26hp 04 model because it really bogged down while bagging with all of the rain we have been having