Ultra Vac QDS or Sorft Bag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dannyc33, Aug 27, 2003.

1. dannyc33

dannyc33 LawnSite Member
    from indy

I'm interested in getting an ultra vac and would like to know from Lazer z owners which they prefer and why.

I'm leaning toward the soft bags becasue they lighter, hold more and an be easly removed and dumped or just use a truck loader and suck the leaves out with dumping first.

Any opinions on eigher?

Dan

2. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I have the bags, but I don't have a truck loader either. What will you be using it for? Just for cleanups or everyday? Do most of your customers have a place to back up to and dump or do you have to haul it away? The bags are nice for dumping into a truck or to dump on a customers property that you cannot back up to with the QDS. The QDS is nice if you have a truck loader or you can back up to a pile and dump on the property, otherwise you will have to dump on a tarp and pick it up. Hope this helps.

3. dannyc33

dannyc33 LawnSite Member
    from indy

I'll have to haul away on almost all of my accounts. If I get the 3 bag system I'll either just use a ladder and dump it into a leaf box on my trcuk of I might spend the $2000-$2500 on a loader.
    Whould I be able to just open the hood and suck out the leaves with the loader or would I have to dump first? I'ld like to avoid making a messy leaf pile that with get blown around.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have the dump bag and i love it never have to get off the seat
    it does fill up quick with a 61" deck but it works

5. dannyc33

dannyc33 LawnSite Member
    from indy

common, more people have to have an ultra vac...right?

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Three Bag.:D

7. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I just ordered the 3 bag bac vac for my Hustler for easier dumping in the back of the truck.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to go with the 3 bag setup myself, because the solid hopper full if grass is just too heavy to lift on a tarp. It's just impracticle for me. It would be much easier to lift three seperate bags and throw them up into the truck. It would SURE beat pulling tarps across the yard out to the truck or wherever, as I am doing now! I was thinking, the solid clamshell with the "dump from the seat" would be great if there was some way to stop it, close it, and move over to another tarp, but each tarp would still be a bit heavier than each of the 3 bags. For anyone that has the clamshell solid hopper, is there anyway of doing this? Also, the fact that the 3 bags hold 2 1/2 bushels more than the solid hopper does, helps influence this decision, but I think if I had a truck loader, and that was about all all I would use the UV for, was Fall cleanups, the dump right from the seat option would be the way to go. You could just keep piling it up until it was time to crank up the truck vac. Fast!

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 3 bag. IMO it is alot more managable weight wise. The QDS would be better if ya can dump on the properties, or anywhere else, instead of havin to dump than load it on the truck.

I like the 3 bag simply cause they are light when full, and can just toss it in the dump to empty them. No loader required. Cant see payin $1800 for the QDS, then haven to spend $2500 just to load the clippings in the truck. I really wouldn't want to haul a loader with me either. I have enough to haul around already.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

once u dump the clamshell there is no stopping it until it is emptied