1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ultra vac question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TSS, Mar 18, 2002.

1. TSS

TSS LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Customer wants lawn cleaned up and dethatched. Problem is that they have a ton of walnut shells and other nut shells over the entire yard. Customer is not willing to rake the shells up anymore. Will the ultra vac pick up these nut shells or not?? If the ultra vac won't pick these up can anyone recomend anything else?? :confused:
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You will have to lower the deck to the height of the shells. This will quickly ruin a set of blades and possibly damage the impeller! Not to mention probably ruin the deck itself. I would suggest using a plastic leaf rake or the back side (flat) of a landscape (aluminum) rake. Get them in little piles and use a feed shovel or even a snowshovel to scoop them up into a can.

Best bet......Hire a bunch of squirrels!!!
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Might pick up some if the HOC is set quite low.

Probably better blowing them with a Little Wonder into a pile for pick-up.

Most will rot, especially if broken, but that may not be acceptable to many customers.

LAZERMAN LawnSite Member

If it were me I would do one of to things, either go out and buy a good rolling vac, or go to a local residential mower dealer and buy a pull type lawn rake. The rake would be a big hasle but it is cheep and the shells shouldn't tear it up.
    Good luck!!!!!
  5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the other posts about tearing up the ultra vac if using it. I would never do that. :(

I have hickory and walnuts all over the place on my property. Last year, I just wasn`t looking forward to raking them up. I took my trusty
    br400 and started it up and went at the nuts that were driving me nuts. I was able to blow them pretty far with the blower, made piles and loaded them into the bags of the ultra vac and dumped them in the woods. In some parts I was able to blow them into the woods. I am looking foward to getting the schindawa or red max blower for this.

TLS-- we have an overabundance of quite large squirrels, and all they do is crack the shells, and eat the nuts and just leave the mess of the cracked shells. If they could just carry them into the woods, and crack them we would have something then!!!:laugh:
  6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

thats why you put old blades on for the first couple weeks. I run over shells and what not with my vac, you would be surpirsed what it can handle. I have never broke the impeller, its extremyl sturdy!!
  7. TSS

TSS LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

:confused: Is it legal to hire squirrels?? lol Turned the bid in as blowing shells so we will see what happens. Hard to say from talking to them, couldn't really get a vibe one way or the other.
  8. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any nuts around here [at least the kind that lay on the ground] but I have a lot of gravel drive areas where the 3/4"+ crushed gets into the lawn area, wreaking havoc on my Lazer's blades. Interestingly enough, the UltaVac doesn't pick any of it up so I've never had, or at least never heard, it go through the impeller.

I got the Power Sweeper attachment for the Stihl and although I originally planned to use it on my FS85 with the loop handle, I now use it on my FS200 brush cutter which has the bicycle handles. That thing will dig gravel out of the turf area and amazingly enough not rip up the lawn! It seems to me that it would be a piece of cake to push all those nuts into piles with the sweeper and then scoop them up. BTW, there was a post a while ago about using a grain scoop to pick up bark mulch and spread it and I highly recommend that also. You can get a nylon or some type of space-age polymer scoop that is extremely lightweight and will last quite a while and use it to pick up your nut piles. Good luck,

Will M>