1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ultra Vac Set up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gaither, Nov 3, 2004.

1. gaither

gaither LawnSite Member

I was checking to see what kind of set you guys have that use exmarks ultra vac. Do you enclose part of your trailer to carry clippings throughout the day? or what else do you do throughout the day with clippings. (especially leaves) until you get a chance to unload.
  2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

On rare occasion I'll empty the ultravac bags into the enclosed trailer when doing leaves but 90% of the cleanups I do I can either blow them into woods or dump them curbside for township leaf pick up. I rarely bid any cleanups where I have to remove the leaves from a property (unless its a small lawn where 2 tarps worth will fit in the trailer). I cant cost justify buying a leaf loader and the right truck to do this on any big scale. Bottom line is I pick and choose which one-time cleanups I sign up to do
  3. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm able to dump my clippings/mulched leaves in the woods at most places. A few I'll empty the bags into garbage bags and either leave them at the curb or toss them on my trailer and take them home and dump 'em on my compost pile.
  4. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

On the big lots, we load the trailer, go and dump the trailer at the city's compost site, and return for the mower.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've got the Ferris equivalent to the Ultra-Vac. It is great! Here is what i use to haul clippings in (see pic below). Now in fall time i put steel sides on with a canvas roof and attach my leaf loader. We leave leaves at the curb where city pickup is available, but if we need to haul them it's no problem.

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Eric.. is that a dump? Do you still have the truck with the white leaf box?
  7. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

Plenty of room for leaves, clipping, branches, etc in the F-550 12' dump.
  8. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

lawn scapes to answer your questions about erics truck, no its not a dump and i dont know if he sold his ford white truck ;)
  9. HOLLYWOOD6973

HOLLYWOOD6973 LawnSite Member
    from PGH PA

How an the hell do you guys have lawn care business and not have a dump truck or pickup ? "You don't bid jobs where you cant dump" how professional is that? Is lawn care your full time job or a side job ?
  10. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I do it full time I wish I had a dump. $890 for a kit to make the existing bed a dump. For now I fork shovel or rake. I do lots of leaf cleanup and haull away lots of leaves and grass clippings.