Ultra Wide Angle Lens for some work photos

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by mdvaden, Jan 22, 2011.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

The past few years, some professions like Real Estate are beginning to use ultra wide angle lense more for their photos. In that case, to get more of the room in, even though it may make it look larger or longer than it is.

I'm just beginning to start using it for work photos, to give a different look to shots. To make the lines and angles different, or like in this case, to make the auger appear larger: to stand out.

It's something climbing arborists ought to try with another climber shooting the pic from above them. And I'm guessing some ZTR mowers would look very interesting, maybe if shot where someone is laying down, and the rider had the machine turned off in front of them.

If you have any Ultra Wide Angle photos, let's see them.

drainage_auger_hardpan.jpg

2. mdvaden

This is not my machine, just a practice shot. Shows how the wide angle lens can shift emphasis just like a figure of speech can work to emphasize words.

fisheye_track700.jpg

3. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

Great Pics!

I like the artsy part of em.

4. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Very nice pics,looks great.very nice job.

5. ROC lawn and landscapes

ROC lawn and landscapes LawnSite Member

Can you put a wide angle lense on any camera? I have a Canon PowerShot SX110 IS. Just thought I would ask.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Thats badass pic of the feller! I want one for my old cannon rebel ti.

7. mdvaden

If anything, there may be some some adapters for cameras like the Canon SX10 IS to SX30 IS. Where the stuff can attach where the lens cap goes.

Odds are that a search on Amazon dot com for adapters will answer that question.

8. mdvaden

Another ultra wide angle lens option is the Fisheye.

You know these lawn companies that have small fleets of trucks and trailers? The Fisheye lens would be a good option to consider using to capture the fleet.

The camera and tripod for these shots was like just 8 feet and 15 feet away from the trunks.

fisheye_trucks_800.jpg

fisheye_trucks_800C.jpg

9. bc3xx0

bc3xx0 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the auger shot, but the length of the lens is not what is making it stand out. Controlling your aperture controls the DOF. At 12mm on a crop body, you must have been about a 1' away! That same shot could be had at 24mm just a little farther back or with a 300mm a little more farther back.

I don't like the fisheye lens. IMO the distortion takes away from the picture.

10. mdvaden

If I could only keep one of the two lenses, it would be an easy choice.

The UWA 12-24mm

:)