1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ultracut problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fergman, Oct 28, 2007.

1. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

ok guys. i have a 04 28efi that has almost 2000 hours on it. it has never had any belts replaced,only 1 clutch. it cuts ABSOLUTELYPERFECT!:weightlifter:
    BUT............ theres only one problem though. i have a 06 (i think) that has maybe 400 hours. every since it was brand new it has never produced the perfect smooth carpety cut that the old one does:cry: . i have checked to make sure that they are cutting at the same height and the new one is cutting a 1/4 of an inch higher than the old one. BUT even if i cut a half of an inch lower than the old mower it STILL doesnt cut as good. i have changed deck belts, all the specs on blade overlap and changed the deck pitch from a 1/4 to an 1/8 of an inch and it still doesnt cut no where near as good as the old one. the blades are in perfect condition and the dealers shop has checked everything as well. the rpm's are correct also. the difference visually between the two is the old mower sucks all the grass up and cuts ALL of it off even when your looking over the crest of any yard you want to look in. the new mower cuts and you can walk through the grass and the majority of the grass is cut but theres alot of blades sticking up that isnt cut,(stragglers i think you call it). in order to make the new mower cut as good as the old one you have to run double high-lifts. the crappy cut is at anywhere from 2 1/2inches or higher at any speed. whats wrong with this thing??? ive done all i know to do. its very depressing for me to not have a beautiful cut in ANY yard that im mowing. the grass type is all a mixture of fescue and your normal weeds. theres no line of uncut strips of grass left in between the blades though. did they make some kind of small changes to the ultracut from 04 to 05 or 06?. i would really appreciate it if you guys could point me in a good direction besides throwing dynamite at it. thanks.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Your deck is likely not straight on top.

Either from a stress warp during fabrication...
    Or a warp from striking an object in the field...

I can tell guide you through checking it for straightness if you want...
    But first confirm than you have checked the tension idler...
    And confirm that you want me to type you a guide... (lot of typing)
  3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a triton deck on the new one?
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

this is waht I was thinking
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Can you post a pic of the mower??
  6. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

ill check the tension idler first then. but if it's not straight on top then will they give me a new deck because its still under warranty? i know it hasnt been hit on anything. what would a new deck cost? i have a picture phone but i just need to figure out how to do all of it on the computer. it is an ultracut deck though. thanks alot envy for the offer of all the typing of a guide. i always GREATLY appreciate such a great friend. there's not alot of people in the world like you and the other guys on here. thanks bud.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Are you using the same type of blades on both?

Are both decks blades interchangable?

You say RPM's are correct. Are you verifying this yourself with tachs on each mower? Or are you taking your dealers word for it?

You say your 04 is a EFI, what is your newer mower have for an engine?

Is the deck pitch on both decks the exact same?

Do check your idlers. Both your deck and the mule drive.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Does it say ultracut. I know about the pic thing. my fiance has to put the pics on the computer for me.
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya, I would check the tension idler too. Mine is prone to freezing up. I grease it and then pull on the belt
    I also put a leveler on the deck in a flat area to make sure its level(side to side and pitched front to back).
    Keep the tires properly inflated. Heating and cooling will change the inflation throughout the day.
    That tensioner is probably the problem.
    If none of the above, it may be warped like was suggested
  10. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

How about the engine rpm.... But my wild guess would be the deck Is out of wack...Remember thats a fabricated deck...not cast...so It will bend or warp.