ultracut vs triton vs hustler xr7

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by happylandscaper, Dec 23, 2007.

1. happylandscaper

happylandscaper LawnSite Member

I was thinking of buying a new ztr. I have had my landscape business for over 15 yrs now. We currently use great dane surfers and bobcat ztr. We mow mainly fescue type lawns on average of 3.5 inch cut in Tennessee. I recently demo a lazer z 60 inch ultracut, lazer z 60 inch triton, and a hustler superz 60. I liked the ultracut but thought the triton deck did better. I loved how the hustler super z rode and felt but thought both the ultracut and triton cut better. Both shops that sell each brand are great so thats not an issue. I did a search of the topic and saw all the praise for the ultracut but i have to say i was more impressed with the triton over the ultra. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.
    prices were lazer z ultracut 60 inch with 25 kohler demo 93hrs $6449
    lazer z 60 inch ultra with 28 kaw $7500
    lazer z 60 inch triton with 28 kaw $8500
    hustler super z 60 inch with 30 kohler $9000
    hustler z 60 inch with 25 kohler $7400

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The 30 hp Kohler has some of the worst reviews in the past and is generally considered not much if any more powerful than the 27 Kohler (early models had a recall for carb problems). No bad reviews on the 28 hp Kawasaki. I personally own a 27 hp Lazer with the UltraCut deck. It is the smoothest cutting mower to date under most conditions. It isn't a wet grass type deck, but the cut is well worth the trade off. I hear good and bad about the Triton. Lots of complaints and a few that really love them, they seem to do better in Southern grasses.

So My pic would be the 28hp UltraCut Lazer. I wouldn't consider Hustler unless I was cutting Southern grasses, then I would give it consideration, then buy the Lazer. I've owned each one except the Triton. The Hustler handles better, rides better but I needed one that cut grass in my area and the XR-t just didn't do as well in this region. Good luck!

3. happylandscaper

happylandscaper LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input.

4. Hunter73

Hunter73 LawnSite Member

Seriously, please define southern grasses. I'm about to buy a Hustler Z XR7, but I'm also still considering the Scag Tiger Cub with the Velocity deck. I live in North Texas and have costal bermuda and weeds to cut.

5. Hunter73

Hunter73 LawnSite Member

bump to the top

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm one of the rare Triton advocates on this site. I've ran the Ultracut and Triton side-by-side for over half of last season and the Triton is supremely betterin every cutting condition. We cut a lot of fescue as well with it. I would recommend you getting the 60" Triton and 28hp Kawasaki as I have yet to read a negative remark about that engine like tacoma200 said.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry I missed your question. In Texas you will definately be dealing with mostly Southern Grasses such as the Bermuda. I hear that the Hustler XR-7 does well there especially if you cut low (say 3" or less). But I'm with jtkplc all the Lazers have a good reputation down there (Exmark or Ultra Cut). I don't think Scag is hardly as Popular there but it is a tried and proven machine especially with the Velocity. Lots of great choices on Southern Grass. One of the guys that sold me the Hustler with the XR-7 put his self through school in Florida by cutting grass. He often commented how much more difficult it was to get a good cut in Kentucky. Even the soils from central Kentucky (fertile, alkaline, lime rich) to my area 100 miles South (yellow, clay, acidic, less fertile) made a huge difference in the cut. The XR-7 just wouldn't cut it. Unless your in the transition zone (KY, Tn, VA, etc) or parts of the Midwest you should be fine with any of the choices. Lots of Hustlers and Exmarks in the deep South.

Southern grasses: Bermuda, Zoysia, Centipede and St. Augustine, etc. I'm sure there are some that overseed with Northern grasses in the winter to keep lawns green there. Northern grasses: Fescue, bluegrass, ryegrass

8. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

Why $1000 for the same mower with different decks? :rolleyes: I just got quoted a price for each and the dealer said they are the same price. I ordered the ultracut. It is "tried and true"!!

9. Hunter73

Hunter73 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply!