UltraVac is driving me BONKERS!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TreffertLawnWrx, Apr 11, 2003.

1. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Ultra Vac on my new 54 hp and this darn thing clogs up alot. i tried with the deck all the way up, then down to 2" and it clogs and **** flys out from the outlet! It was dealer installed and everything is working properly (i think). But i am not getting the sale results as everyone else.

2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

on occasion in the spring I've had the same problem...we have a couple of Exmark loyalists here who will likley reply to your post and maybe give you some helpful info. Never had the problem with leaves, only in spring where a property has gotten overgrown

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

54hp is WAY too much for the Ultra-Vac!!! :eek:

Anyway....

I have an UV for my 60" and while it performs properly, I would like to have more "suction" than I'm getting. Plus I'd like to have a lighter (weight wise) hopper. The 3 bag hopper assembly is a real PITA to lift. It's kinda heavy and you cant get your arm around it to lift it by yourself very easily. Unit is WAY overbuilt IMO.

You are at MAX engine RPM, right? 3750

These things require FULL RPM's to shoot the leaves and grass up that chute.

Where is it flying out the outlet? Pipe or impeller housing?

Where is is clogging? Only when its full, or in deep leaves?

4. GarPA

from PA

TLS...man you are right about the weight...even the hopper for the 52 is a handful...kind of heavy and hard to get hold of...and yes but like a tank...as you say probably overbuilt...I have never been exactly ga-ga over the UV...its ok...but my expectations for it were higher than what it actually delivers...and it was certainly not inexpensive. Personally I find that for all that weight, mass, and money, thebags fill too quickly...but because the mower is small and low to the ground they cant be any bigger....just babbling...its not one of my favorite pieces of equipment

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

At least with the 2 bagger, you can grab each end of the hopper protector bars, and lift it on. I don't have enough arm span to do this on the 3 bagger.

Anyway..... I don't think that there's a bagger system out there that DOESN'T fill up too quick!! Is there? :D

Gator Magnums and the UV really chop up the leaves into a powder, so I really recommend Gators when using the UV.

I still think the impeller should be horizontal shafted (vertical impeller) . To save on the overall width of the unit. I have literally 1.5" on either side of my trailer when the UV is on!!! It is one WIDE unit!

While engineered VERY well, I would have made a few changes to improve the above stated areas.

6. GarPA

from PA

Well I've admited b4 I am mower stupid sometimes....but even with that being said, I have too many times crashed and burned as you mention above by thinking I'm going to clear an obstacle only to clobber it with the top of the hopper or the impeller housing....my fault yes...unit's design too big...yes

7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

OK... here's a thought......... Is the outlet end of the chute (above the bags) facing the right way?

I assume the dealer would know how to assemble the unit, but if he didn't, I can tell you the instructions for assembly get vague in places.......

It is possible to assemble the tube halves so that the outlet faces down into the right side bag (WRONG), instead of facing left (when viewed from rear of mower)(CORRECT) so that both bags fill.

Also.... definitely gators or some other type of mulcher with the UV...... pretty big difference!

8. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

On mine the biggest thing I think thay needs done every time you dump is to wipe off or bang on the screen inside the collection hood on the back ,this lets it breath better and vac power is increased.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe I should be quiet on this, you guys might not want to hear what I have to say.;)

If you try to take a lot of tall wet grass at once you could possible clog it. Try gators to help chop the clippings up better.