ultravac vs. trac vac, peco etc...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by duckspuddle, Mar 1, 2007.

1. duckspuddle

duckspuddle LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark AS 60" 25 kohler and I need a grass collection system. The ultravac is $2400.00! I've used spindle driven systems on Encore, and had a lot of problems with belts, and decreased blade speed, but I was impressed with the manuverability. I'm looking at the trac vac 462 Z ($1500.00), and 655($1800) as a less expensive alternative. How do they hold up compared to the ultracut? I, a little concerned with the quality of the engineering/materials compared to the ultracut unit. Any opinions about the old style spindle driven protero 215 ($1800 delivered)? I understand the ultravac doesn't mulch the debris. I'm having trouble getting past the price tag of the Exmark unit. I won't be using the unit every day, and ease of getting it on and off the mower is important.
    Thanks Joe
  2. cemeteryman

cemeteryman LawnSite Member

I have a trak vak 866 which is a little bigger, but most of my mowing is done in a cemetery in the middle of timber. I use the trak vak for leaf disposal, and it mulches it up great. I have had it for three seasons now, and the only thing that I have had to work on were replacing a few bolts that got lost.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

4. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

call a couple exmark dealers because I could be wrong, but that seems like suggested retail price, and not exmark sale price.

The ultra is proven, and made to fit your machine. Very low maintainence.

Pony motor driven bags is another engine to service (and replace, they never last)

Plus, ultra vac parts are as available as exmark equipment parts, so it will never be an issue. Especial with the overnight parts program if you got in a jam.
  5. duckspuddle

duckspuddle LawnSite Member

Is there such a thing as a "sale" on exmark accesories. I should would like to by the ultracut 3 bag system, but every dealer I have talked to quotes list price. Added up, the bagger, weight kit and drive kit are almost $2,600.00 plus tax ouch! Is there a seasonal sale? It seems to me it should be now
  6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i guess i need to change my info, i have teh ultra vac, i had the trac vac and the engine blew, not to mention, every time i unloaded i almost had to shut off its engine because it blew everthing in my face. one less engine to worry about