Um, yeah, can anyone tell me why diesel is $1.00 more than gas?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jtkplc, Oct 28, 2005.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Here in michigan, Diesel is ~$3.39 and gas is about ~$2.39, why is diesel so much more righ now? Shouldn't diesel be about $0.20 less than gas?

2. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

1. it's probably the winter mix with all sorts of crap to keep it from freezing

2. life's a bi+c#

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

It's the same reason Hydrogen is going to be so expensive when everybody runs out and starts buying Hydrogen fueled vehicles. If everybody and their momma would lay off on buying the diesel trucks, the demand would stop rising so fast.

4. Thirsty

Thirsty LawnSite Member

I haul Diesel and gas for a living and I have also asked people in the business this question.

The answer I get is 3rd world countries such as China ..economies are growing in the double digits every year and they are buying alot of diesel.

I know a few people who bought diesel cars the last few years for economy....sure glad I didn't listen to them.

The price of gas has gone down because the refineries at the Gulf are back online cracking gas again.

With winter approaching I wouldn't look for Diesel to come down soon or ever....hopefully I am wrong.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The oil companies know the world runs on diesel fuel so they have everybody by the b**** we have to buy it like the price or not. If the transportation industry stopped because they didn't like the price of fuel the whole of North America would come to a grinding halt.

Gasoline is a North America fuel its to feed the nation that loves cars look at other countries around the world most of their vehicals are diesel here in Canada and US gasoline powered cars are more common. Look back into the 70s when they had sedans that would damn near take up the whole block. Those old boats had 450-500 plus cubic inch engines that could suck back a 5 gallon can of gas starting them up.

Do I see the price of diesel coming down probably not the price of fuel is just going to be passed onto the customer when they need deliveries or service provided from trucks or equipment.

Right now I pay from 1.07 to 1.17 a litre for diesel convert that to American its 3.05 to 3.68 for a US gallon in US funds.

6. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Diesel is know refined more then gas. The EPA wants the refiners to cut the sulfur in diesel. Thus being the reason why it's so dam expensive now.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Also , home heating oil and diesel fuel are the same thing except for the red dye. Right now with it being winter there is alot of demand for #2 fuel oil (diesel). They got us by the nads, you gotta pay it if ya wanna stay warm so......

8. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Finally someone with the correct answer, Diesel fuel is always more expensive than gas at this time of year. Don't expect it to go down much until it warms back up.

9. Thirsty

Thirsty LawnSite Member

With winter approaching I wouldn't look for Diesel to come down soon or ever....hopefully I am wrong.-Thirsty...

I said it also....but the correct answer is 3rd world countries economies are expanding and the demand for diesel will always be on the increase.Someday diesel will go to the highest bidder.

I burn $350 of diesel a day, and I deliver about 20,000 gallons of diesel a day.

If I ever get my own shop ..I will have a 500 gallon tank installed and deliver to myself at wholesale....and I would run nontax off road in mowers.

10. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

because we havent built any refineries in the past 30 years. this is what happens when you dont keep up with demand