un-profesh?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wclement7, Jul 8, 2005.

1. wclement7

wclement7 LawnSite Member

ok so i am a little over halfway done with paying off a rider that i am getting. gonna need a trailer also. does it look unprofessional to tow a rider and some push mowers. or is totally ok being just starting out? thanks for your help ya'll are awesome.
    willis

2. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Go ahead. Who cares. At 15 nobody is going to consider you a professional but good for you for having the ambition to do something at your age. There are so many kids, nowdays, who feel the world owes them a living and at 25 still feel that way. Work hard and do as professional a job as you can and act and look professional and it will come. Just don't assume that you ARE professinal yet. Be prepared for some hard lessons and knocks.
    What are you going to be pulling the trailer with?
    Good luck. payup

3. wclement7

wclement7 LawnSite Member

alright that makes me feel better.. i am actually 16, 17 the 29th. but i don't say i am professional, just trying to be better than some of those little kids pushing a 3 wheeled 3hp lawn mower around me neighborhood. charging 10$$ lol. i used to do those lawns for 5$ and bagged em and evertything!! ROFL and i will be pulling the trailer with my ranger.. can;t wait till it dies! :p

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

To set the matter straight what we do is called Commercial Lawncare or Commercial Landscaping. Although folks frequently use the term professional to describe themselves, the United States Government sees things different:

§ 54.1-111. Unlawful acts; prosecution; proceedings in equity; civil penalty.

2. Making use of any designation provided by statute or regulation to denote a standard of professional or occupational competence without being duly certified or licensed.

In not so many words, you need to be Certified or Licensed as a professional by the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation.
    And I looked long and hard, but I didn't see what I do here:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC5401000

Far as how it looks with a rider?
    ... Who defines what professional looks like?

I go topless in the summer, some say that looks unprofessional.
    Me, I don't care... Better than wearing shirt uniforms and sweating all day.

This is your business, you decide your appearance. IF you are somewhat careless in your approach, some your customers will be, too - Birds of a feather flock, I like a little lack of care myself (less nit-picking the bs).
    I think what works best is be yourself, do what YOU would do OR do what you would expect of someone IF you hired someone like yourself to work on your own yard, for example.
    Hope that helps.

5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

do a good job, be dependable, and, for God's sake and that of the local community, keep your shirt on and you will be deemed a professional. don't worry much about that statute, because as far as mowing lawns goes, there is no 'designation provided by statute ' for you to be certified in. when it comes to pesticide application, tree removal, major landscaping, that's a different story.

6. williamjordan84

williamjordan84 LawnSite Member

Hey go for it! It is the BEST adverisitng you will get! Even if you hold up traffic people will see you! Trust me I know! I've been doing it since I was 13 years old! And the scarry thing is that at 21 and with 2 trucks and trailers I still send out my one guy on the new Kubota ZG 20 that I have with a small trailer on the back with everything in it! Like I said its the best advertising you will get! Just throw your number on it and dont for get a slow moving sign on the back for saftey! This way the cops shouldnt give you any trouble either. Best of luck, just keep and eye out for the cars. :cool2:

Have fun and always smile! :)

William Jordan

B.J.'s Lawn Service
    You Grow it...I'll Mow it!

7. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Don't let anyone tell you any different. You are a professional no matter what your age is.

Take a look in the dictionary....

pro·fes·sion·al
    n.
    A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
    One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
    A skilled practitioner; an expert.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

As far as looking unprofessional now, wait until you've got dime-sized divots all over your back from possible cancer areas being removed.

This from experience.

I never go outside without a shirt on anymore.

9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

topless = CANCER
    no suntan lotion = CANCER

sweating all day with shirt, hat and suntan lotion = living longer to see your wife and kids.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

topsites is always spouting off misinformation,,,,,,,, worst most unprofessional thing you can do is mow with your shirt off..... can you say scrub........ your a kid, yet, dont worry too much, do a good job and charge market prices, oh, you do have insurance and licence right.... i got checked on saturday,