Unbelievable (2004 Toro vs. 2004 Exmark)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfcare, Oct 10, 2003.

1. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have been on a quest looking for a new 2004 ZTR. I will be buying a Toro or an Exmark. I currently have a 2003 Toro 23hp 62". I like the superflow deck for some conditions but not overall. Well I started out on my fact finding mission and started with my Toro dealer here in town. He was very knowledgeable about the new Toro and all the changes and gave me a price of $7868 for a 2004 60" 27hp Kohler. Not to bad. So I started doing research on Lawnsite looking for info on the differences between the 2004 Toro deck and the 2004 Exmark deck. I was told that the Exmark deck would be the same as last years model. I could find or receive the information I was looking for so I called the Exmark dealer here in town. He told me he did not have any 2004 Exmarks in stock and that he would not until DECEMBER! I said Ok and went by his place to pick up some literature on the 2004 model and he did not have any so I picked up a 2003 brochure. I called him back this morning to get a price from him on a 2004 model and he could not give me one. He called somewhere and said he could give me a price on a new 2003 model but that is not what I was looking for. I told him I was comparing the new Exmark and the New Toros. He immediately went into his spill about how much more heavy duty the Exmark was compared to the Toro. I asked him if he had seen the new 2004 Toro and he replied "no I haven't" I told him you better have a look. Obviously he had no idea what he was talking about. So I called another Exmark dealer about twenty five miles away. This guy was happy to help. He said he was an Exmark and a Toro dealer. We discussed the differences between the Exmark deck and the new Toro deck at length. He said he actually toured the Exmark Plant a couple of weeks ago. He was very knowledgeable about both products and could tell me in detail about the differences between the 2003 Exmark and the 2004 Exmark. He also told me about the Exmark suspension kit that you can purchase that goes under the seat instead of buying the $500.00 suspension seat. He offered me the kit for $179.00 and said it also fits the Toro seats. We eventually got down to price. He said he would sell me the:
    2004 Exmark 27hp Kohler 60" - $7900.00
    2004 Toro 27hp Kohler 60" - $8000.00
    I told him I had a better price on the Toro and he then said he would sell the Toro for $7695.00. I believe he will sell the Exmark at that price or even cheaper if I push it.
    So the bottom line is I looked at pictures of underneath the 2004 Toro and 2003 Exmark decks and compared them. If you take away the adjustable baffle off the Toro and imagine filling in with a baffle from the Exmark, then there is not much difference at all in the way the flow system is set up. The new Toro has a more heavier duty spindle than the Exmark and the new Toro deck is completely 7 ga. steel. I am sure both are great machines. I have not demoed either machine. None of the dealers here have a demo apparently. Another negative about the dealers in this area.
    Bottom Line, which will I buy?
    I still do not know!!!
    Hopefully I will figure it out soon!
    :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

2. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a 2004 Toro with the 61" deck.. And I'm used to the dixie chopper. All I can say is SWEET. The machine was so smooth to operate and the cut was excellant. This machine had a 27 Kawi LC motor. Buy the New Toro not the eXmark.. I don't like them...

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The TORO vs. eXmark race has always been ............. the deck and the dealer support.

Right now, their much more equal with TORO's new deck. Time will tell, as more guys get TORO's with that new deck and report on here.

Still like the ability to talk directly with eXmark employees on the eXmark fourm on here. That is a really neat feature that still surprises my dealer when I hear of things 6 months before he does!

Be our guinnea pig, and buy the TORO, let us know how you like it!

4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Not just eXmark. Great Dane and Hustler too. And information in general reaches this site quicker than anywhere else.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Take a look at whats available for after market products. exmarks wins there
    John

6. Is that Toro spindle housing a big casting like what they put on their big commercial units?

Dave

7. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Moose i think that deck is 60", I demoed the 580 with the 28hp Kohler EFI i couldn't tell any diff in the deck's only the toro's adjustment pin's which are great, and i loved the thicker controls, seems like it puts you in more control,plus the deluxe seat, I had mine for 3 days awesome machine but very pricey, you say you can get the new 2004 Toro Z-500 27hp Kohler and turboforce deck for under 8000K, I can't get my dealer down on a 2004 27hp Kohler 52" turboforce deck under 8000k, funny how priceing is so different from state to state.

View attachment family 176.jpg

8. Mark P

:) Moose i think that deck is 60", I demoed the 580 with the 28hp Kohler EFI i couldn't tell any diff in the deck's only the toro's adjustment pin's which are great, and i loved the thicker controls, seems like it puts you in more control,plus the deluxe seat, I had mine for 3 days awesome machine but very pricey, you say you can get the new 2004 Toro Z-500 27hp Kohler and turboforce deck for under 8000K, I can't get my dealer down on a 2004 27hp Kohler 52" turboforce deck under 8000k, funny how priceing is so different from state to state. ...Marks Mowing Service

family 176.jpg

9. Mark P

:) Don't ask me how two showed up? Here is those deck pin's

family 178.jpg

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

So, how about a clear UNDER DECK shot.

Is there a "hinge" with this baffle movement? Or do you just bend it like?

How about those spindles? Get a good shot of them. I guess TORO still makes you grease them?

Blades 20 1/2" with a 5/8" center hole? Offset?

Details!!!

:D