UNBELIEVABLE ... Never Would Have Guessed !!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lifetree, Apr 13, 2007.

1. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Something happened to me today that I never would have guessed ... actually, when I think back on it it is really unbelieveble. There really are all kinds of scumbags in this world.

3 weeks ago I got a call from a man that asked me to come over and give an estimate, so I went to his house and he took me to the backyard and asked what I would charge to mow only the back yard, about 1/2 acre. I looked at it and asked if that's all he wants done and he said yes (i.e.-no trimming, etc). So I said I would do it for $ 30. Then he said he wants it done about every 2 weeks, or, longer if we have a drought and it doesn't need it. So I mow it that day and he pays me.

I got a call today asking me to come over and mow again which I did. When I finished I went to the door and asked if he would like to set up a regular schedule to have it mowed , and he said let's keep it that he'll call me. As I was turning to leave I said that I would bill him and he asked for what ? I said "for today". He said, "what will the bill be?", and I said $ 30. He proceeded to say that his understanding was that it would $ 30 per month, not per cut. In other words, he expected it to be $ 15 per cut. I immediately said "No", and he indicated there was a "misunderstanding". At this point I said that we would "call it even" because of the "misunderstanding", however, from now on it would be $ 30 per cut and for him to "call me" when he wants it cut again.

Needelss to say, I don't expect him to call again, but if he does my schedule has gotten "very busy" and he'll need to call another LCO. In hindsight I know he planned it, however, I couldn't have done anything because his son is a deputy sheriff with the car sitting out front.

Oh well, I'll just chalk it up to another scumbag in the world ... there certainly are plenty and I seem to get more than my fair share to deal with.

2. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

He knew what he was doing.

I was at a gas station once and the girl in the next lane pulled in and clearly said "fill it up" to the Pakistani attendant. As the pump rolled past $30 dollars she began blowing the horn and then told the attendant " I said $5.00!!" and began waving a five dollar bill at him. I was filling up my $80.00 diesel so I got to watch the whole thing.
    They argued very profainly for a while and when he threatened to call the police she said "go ahead". I waited to be a witness for him as I was fully aware she was a pro at this. She finally gave in and paid him before the police arrived.

3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Lifetree, I had to look at your profile to see where you were from. I wondered if you were mowing in my area, I thought I was the only one that had those kinds of customers! LOL.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is tough, but it's happened to me in other ways, and it's hard to see these coming...
    As a rule, if it doesn't make perfect sense, I'm not doing it.
    That is to say, if it doesn't fit the mold...

- No half yard cuts (thou I do have two customers like this lol).
    > But certainly not 1/2 the yard and no trimming (that's double dipping into cheapness right there).
    - Nobody walks me around the yard to show me nothing.
    > Tell me what it is you want on the phone, if I can't figure it out when I get there without further input, then I can not do it.
    Ok, there are a few things sometimes they have to show me, this and that, but this one was clearly leading on, that's the part I don't like.

Last but not least, misunderstanding?
    Ok, I have no problem with that.
    Sure, anyone can missunderstand, not a big deal there.
    But the amount due is still $whatever.
    If they say 'well I'm not paying' (or they don't pay or any other song and dance).
    Ok, no problem, thank you. (and walk away) <- This one BLOWS their mind!
    > A fair number go 'hey wait a minute' then proceed to ask what am I going to do... lol.
    >> The answer: Well you just said you're not paying, right? Right, bye now. (keep walking)

Regardless, it gets sent through collections, goes on their credit record.
    If they said they're not paying, the account is processed immediately into the 60-day overdue stage.
    > 1 chance to pay me before I send it off, 5 day notice.

They think they're important?
    Yup, don't care who they are, police, lawyers, presidents, realtors, doctors, professors = all the same to me.

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

$30 bucks a month for a half acre.... Call me when you need me!

Now that's a logo, lol.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

LMAO, we had a customer try and pull the same thing last year. The only good thing is we caught it before starting to mow.:nono:

7. lifetree

dcondon -- What is "LMAO" ? I'm not familiar with that acronym.

8. lifetree

topsites -- Thanks for the good information here about "indicators" to this type of situation ... I've definately learned a lesson from the experience and your input is also valuable. Also, concerning the misunderstanding, good advice as well. Again, thank you.

9. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

laugh my astroid off :laugh:

10. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

lmao = Laughing my @$$ off