Unbelievable...what would you do???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACutAbovesiny, Oct 4, 2006.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't believe what I was hearing today from a customer. I have mentioned these people before...3 dogs and doesnt clean up after them in the yard. Anyway, I was mowing their front yard today and heading over to the back when the woman comes out to ask me if I was going to do the back? I said "yes, im going back their right now." Thats when she said to wait a few minutes because the dogs "just ate" and need to go out.

What would you have done?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Sorry ma'am but the dogs will have to wait, we have a full schedule to meet.

3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have started weedeating the front...asked her to please pick up the poop if she could...then mowed the back. She is a paying customer...and crap happens.

4. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I "had" a customer for 5 years and her husband decided that he wanted to do the lawn (this was a few weeks back). Her new husband has a dog that craps in the yard and he decided to put things all over the yard (barbeque/lawnchairs and tables) and such so I told her " sure but I use a commercial rider to cut the lawn I doubt your husbands lawn mower will be able to cut the lawn". Two weeks pass and I get the call "hello can you come and cut the lawn, I'm really sorry and I will pick up the poo". I went there looked at the almost foot tall grass and checked out the back yard that was still full of poo and said "Sorry my machine can't cut this grass" and drove away.

5. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Let me get this straight? She wanted you to wait while she let the dogs out to take a s@#t? The dogs couldn't hold it for like 3 minutes while you mowed? Personally I don't mind dogs so I would have told her just to let them out and gone an mowed the back while they were back there. I had several jobs where people had dogs in the back yard while I mowed. No biggy. I had one dog that I swear waited until I showed up to mow to take a dump because she would take 3 or 4 while I was mowing and each time she did it right in my next path, and then one fresh new pile on the newly cut grass. I always got a kick out of it.

6. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

Shes just showing you how much she appreciates you being in her turf!
    or your work perhaps!:laugh: :laugh:

7. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing with dogs in the yard is not a good idea. I chopped off a customers dogs leg. Heres a link to the thread. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=156151

8. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You know man, I started with that attitude this year myself... If it's more than I can tolerate, I gotta go, I'm simply not putting myself through that anymore. And believe you me, I did at least my fair share, for some years I did a LOT of that stuff and went through the bs and yes I ate dog poop and I cut grass so thick and tall that it choked the engine the entire time and if I had went any faster it would've cut off, but today I am no longer in the school of money desperados.

Same as yourself, I "had" a customer for a year or so and then the service discontinued but I couldn't remember why... 2-3 years later (this year) customer calls and wants to renew service, said they'd call me when they thought it would need it the first time...

Some time went by and customer called and I went out there... The nice flat square back yard was already cut, the steep hilly front I couldn't figure out what the deal was other than there were branches and cones and crap everywhere, and in the ditch which ran all along two sides of this corner house, the grass was 4 feet tall (the whole ditch, from side to side, real thick, tall grass)... And just to sweeten the pie, someone's van was parked on the curb side to where it was blocking an entire section of lawn.
    Same as you, I drove off and when I got the dreaded call, I simply told the customer what I just said above, and customer asked 'what IS the problem' (evidently the van was gone lol) and I said 'I am sorry but I need something a little better than this to work with...' Customer says 'excuse me' like in an argumentative tone, and I said 'thank you for your time' and hung up.
    Customer called back, I didn't answer, customer left several messages which I later deleted, and then it was over.

If this thread is not related to a pita case, then the above answer is uncalled for, but otherwise I no longer feel the pain.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would have told her to have the dogs wait till I got the lawn down or if they had to go out badly enough, let the woman put the dogs on a leash and walk them around front.

Sorry but I have work to do and can't afford to be held up. (if it were summer, it might be different but were already losing daylight so I have to make the most out of what I have!!!)