Unbelieveable Call

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, May 10, 2006.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

ME: Hello, thank you for calling A1 Lawn Care

CALLER: Yes, I am mowing my Aunt's yard and I would like to know how to do it.

ME: You want me to tell you how to mow her yard?

CALLER: No, I know how to do that. What I want to know is how much to charge her. I need an estimate.

ME: Oh, so you want me to start mowing her yard and you need an estimate?

CALLER: No, I am going to mow her yard. But, I don't know how much to charge her. Can you tell me how to figure that out?

ME: (dismayed) How the heck do I know how much YOU should charge?

CALLER:
    Well, how do you figure it out? Is it by size or something?(fishing for an exact price)

ME: (seizing an opportunity) Well, first you have to figure out how much your labor is costing you. Then, how much your mowers, gas, maintenance etc...cost you. Don't forget workman's comp, liability insurance and equipment insurance. Factor in the rising cost of gas and don't forget what you care to make an hour. DOES THIS HELP?????

CALLER: Uh, ok. Thanks Bye.

I swear to all of you this is an actual call that I took this afternoon. And, the guy was not pulling my leg. I can spot people like that on the phone. This guy was for real.

2. The Kiwi Lawn Ranger

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Wow he must have balls of iron to call you and ask that.

The Lawn Ranger
    Taupo New Zealand

3. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Sounds to me like his balls haven't dropped yet.:weightlifter:

4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well at least he wanted to charge her fair market value. Maybe he's going to be a car salesman, or the next congressman!!!!!!

5. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

I had a guy like that last year; wanted to cahrge fair market value and all being it was his side job. I wasted 10 minutes on the phone not really telling him anything, finally agreed to his over priced number. The nerve of these people. I feel ya!

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

all i have to say is, everyone bit@hes about lowballers and when someone truly wants to learn you dog him. you could've helped him out.. hell, you talked to him on the phone for 5 minutes, could've gave him an idea of how much to charge. now, don't come back here complaining about the new lowballer in your area.:dizzy:

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First off, they would've lowballed it anyhow... But that one is actually kind of mild, I find the worse ones are ones that ask you for an estimate on a lot, and you go out there because you think it needs servicing, and it's someone fishing for a price <- THAT is really hard to spot on the phone, other than something about the whole thing is odd but you really can't place your finger on it, so you wonder if you're losing a job as you drive off without giving a price ...

Besides, why help everybody into the business? If they're dumb enough to ask, I'm dumb enough to answer, but don't expect the right answer. Now the man could've said it was 1/4 acre lot, for example... I might tell them the average is 35 and thank you.

8. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Well said if everyone would get on the same page we would make alot more

9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I have to agree with lawnwizards. 3 years ago I was a low baller on a JD mower. A local LCO stopped by when I was cutting and talked to me about charging the correct prices, buying equipment and how to get new work, etc. He also pointed me to this site. I have since then raised my prices, bought new commerical equipment and have been a lot better off. Helping your competition is something that is up to you. I know I don't but am thankful for the LCO that stopped by that day.:drinkup:

10. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Your for sure this guy was for real??? If so, WOW!