Uncharted territory!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Newbie, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Newbie

Newbie LawnSite Member

Has anyone done this before or know if this can be done:

I am looking to move out of state and begin a lawn care service. I will owe nothing but a small house payment and a SBA loan for my equiptment and VERY little cash. Of course I will investigate, attempt to get commited contracts for next season, and complete my move just before the season starts.

has it been done?
    Any advice?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

It would be tough, but not impossible. Part of the job is customer relationships. Would you be around this winter and early spring to make the relationships? I wouldn't expect a killer 1st year. I think you could survive though.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

By the way, you live in a very beautiful area. I have an aunt that lives not far from you. They own a business in the area.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if there is little cash it can be done. its called looking for high grass an knocking on doors. then somebody ll call you a name.
    but u do what u got to do until you are established.
    country folk can be a hard nut to crack until they accept u.
    around here that takes oh 15 yrs or so:D just kiddin
    good luck
  5. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I have given that idea alot of thought before, it just sounds like an interesting thing to do if you have no ties where you are and are looking for a new adventure. It could be difficult but with proper planning and executing the plan step by step it can be pulled off.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

A guy moved here from OK and as far as I know is doing pretty good. Why you wanna leave this great State of Alabama man?

The one thing about this line of work is there is grass everywhere and landscaping................not like you'll run out any time soon. I think you could be up and running in a matter of months with some good marketing and a few satisfied customers that refer you to their friends.
  7. Newbie

Newbie LawnSite Member

No matter where I go, I'll NEVER defect from Roll Tide Football!

Speaking of which, the games on in ten minutes.

Keep cuttin' guys!
  8. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

I'm doing the exact thing your thinking about, of course I'm moving back to my home state of West Virginia. My wife and I have been in Alabama for 8 years and like it real well and have met some wonderful people but the difference now and 8 years ago is that I have 2 kids and another due in May. We strongly feel that they need to be raised around family. I've been doing lawn care fulltime for the last three years and my wife works too, but I was offered a job and decided to take it and work on getting new business next spring. It's not an easy decision but you have to decide where your priorities lie. Good Luck.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm preparing to do the same thing myself this winter. Not into a different state, but almost two hours north of where I am now. Where I am going, I have no family, no friends, no one I even know! Just my girlfriend. It seems so weird - to be going up there and starting all over again. Here, I've read and even gave advice on establishing clientele, and building a business from scratch, but I never would have thought that I would have seen the day that I am doing it for myself (again). Am I scared? You bet! This is a BIG move for me. Here come the cold calls, the "knocking on doors", and the door hangers, (probably). One strategy I have, is to target the high-end residential areas, and approach the people at the ENTRANCES of these subdivisions. I figure if I give them a decent deal, in trade for my being able to advertise myself with my work, then I will be seen and welcomed to the area by other residents. All I need to do, is step foot into a neighborhood, and it will take off. It's always happened before like that. I just have a few other issues that are at the top of my list for this move. One, being residence for myself. I really need to find a house to rent (preferably with a decent garage) that I am able to keep equipment and supplies in, and have access to water to fill my tank. Again, it's a BIG move, and the feeling is like a rush of a challenge. Good luck with your venture.